Hoist hangers on RSJ / Steel Beam | Advice

Reaction score
Please can anyone give advice on this rsj installation. I think we might have issues with building control on this one. The joist hangers haven’t been put on correctly and have been cut off instead of bent over the top.

Is this safe and will it pass building control inspection?

Thanks

Attachments

• iOS Image - 3050196224.jpg
    iOS Image - 3050196224.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 508
  • iOS Image - 2785610058.jpg
    iOS Image - 2785610058.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 446
  • iOS Image - 2412212484.jpg
    iOS Image - 2412212484.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 414
  • iOS Image - 3342608689.jpg
    iOS Image - 3342608689.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 463
Sponsored Links
Please can anyone give advice on this rsj installation. I think we might have issues with building control on this one. The joist hangers haven’t been put on correctly and have been cut off instead of bent over the top.

Thanks

Also the wood infill isn’t bolted to the beam. I believe this is also an issue.

It doesn't look tidy but in practice it will almost certainly be OK, assuming the joist span isn't too large. Six 3mm dia. nails connecting steel to timber will support approx 2kN, which is almost certainly higher than the load imparted by each joist.
Again, although we almost always seen the inserts bolted to the web, they won't be going anywhere as they are supported off the bottom flange, and 'wedged in' by the joists.
But what matters is your inspector's opinion.

Thanks

It looks like the hangers are on the p**s because the joists are twisted.

Its possible to buy face fix hangers so the missing top isnt a great deal.

They should be nailed not screwed. 3.75mm x 30mm joist hanger nails.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the hangers are on the p**s because the joists are twisted.

Its possible to buy face fix hangers so the missing top isnt a great deal.

They should be nailed not screwed. 3.75mm x 30mm joist hanger nails.

Don't the face fix hangers have more nail holes?

Maybe I'm just a pedantic old sod but I take the view that the job should be done properly and when a builder takes a short cut bodge job like that just because they couldn't be bothered to buy the correct hangers and spend a few minutes putting in noggins to straighten the joists it really annoys me. I'm sure if you went to the hanger manufacturer they would not endorse that installation.

My hangers had writing on saying how many nails to use when either face fixing or strapping over.

Because the hangers are all exactly that same I drew a horizontal line in the timber going into the web and lined the same nail holes up with that all the way along.

Your going have to put 2x1 battens on the underside of your joists to fix your plasterboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back