holes in chimney breast at loft drug by drug gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm seeking advice on how to block four large holes dug into the chimney wall after the house was converted into a cannabis farm by a tenant.
I've noticed small amount of rainwater coming inside through one of the hoses used by the group for ventilation. I'm wondering if it's okay to block these holes with bricks and mortar, along with some foam gap-filling material? Also, do I need to have a roofer inspect the chimney on the roof, as water is entering through it?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_165800.jpg
    IMG_20240306_165800.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can block them up as you propose if you are not using the flue. Otherwise, it would need to be done properly.

The water may be coming down the vent pipes, but if not, yes get a roofer to have a look

Vent holes for the grow tents to vent out into without looking obvious.
You could probably do with the chimney top being inspected as it may need some recapping.
Shove a brick in the hole and fill the rest of the space with sand/cement.

Sponsored Links
OP,
What floor is this?
Due diligence would require you to do a correct but simple job of brick patching - squaring off the holes and laying a few bricks to secure the integrity of the flue.
You might also need to drop a camera down the flue to check the integrity of the flue feather or look for blockages below the holes?
Thing is, if you sell on the house with a flue that might possibly leak fumes into another flue or out of the chimney breast then you could be responsible for any consequences.

Thank you for everything. Apologies, I'm very busy dealing with the nightmare.

Essentially, the chimney is not in use. The two fireplaces in the living room have been blocked off.The venting pipes were layed by the drug gang. I haven't finished removing them completely. However, I noticed some water dripping from one of the venting pipes. Does this indicate that the chimney capping, or something else, is leaking and causing rainwater to come inside? Or it is ok to leave like that, just block the holes on the wall only

You can block them up as you propose if you are not using the flue. Otherwise, it would need to be done properly.

The water may be coming down the vent pipes, but if not, yes get a roofer to have a look
Thanks. Yes the water is from one of the vent pipes layed by the gang. Does that mean problem with chimney capping or this is normal that I can leave it, only need to block the holes on the wall?

OP,
It doesn't matter if the flue or flues are in use at the moment (blocked off fireplaces) - as I implied above, the next occupier of the house might bring the flue back into live use & if you have knowingly left the flue in an unsafe condition, and an accident occurs, then you might be held responsible.

OP,
It doesn't matter if the flue or flues are in use at the moment (blocked off fireplaces) - as I implied above, the next occupier of the house might bring the flue back into live use & if you have knowingly left the flue in an unsafe condition, and an accident occurs, then you might be held responsible.
Thanks. May I know How to find whether the flu been damaged or unsafe. There are flexible hose there. I spotted water in one hose

It's most likely related to the silver ducts (condensation? ) but it would be wise to get the external checked. Perhaps the same person could also make good the holes?

Don't worry about the standard, as the chimney is not used, just fill the holes as you proposed.

I tend to agree with ree, the structural integrity may well have been compromised by holes that size. There is an awful lot of weight in a chimney and who knows what might happen during a storm. Your insurance company would have the perfect excuse not to pay out if the repairs were not done properly now.

OP,
Considering that you are going to make c/breast repairs, & given the above considerations I previously mentioned, then why not make a proper job of it?

Someone will have to investigate the conditions on top of the chimney stack. Plus, if necessary, the flexi "vents" can be most safely removed from the flue opening on the stack

I instructed a roofer to conduct the repair work assuming the holes had been blocked appropriately. There is actually no cap on the chimney. The roofer removed all four pots and blocked the chimney with a board and cement. Later, I was told that the board he used is 6mm thick MDF board covered by cement. I am extremely concerned about the board swelling if moisture is absorbed, which could shorten the lifespan of the cover

Couldn't you have just capped the the pots with cowl caps

Couldn't you have just capped the the pots with cowl caps
I followed the roofer to have the pots removed but neglected to ask how he block the chimney in the beginning. Additionally, it started to rain two hours later. I now regret this oversight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back