Holiday Destinations ... where you been, where you going, where you want to go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Barber Mode: Off anywhere nice this summer Sir?

Just looking for somewhere nice at the minute for the family. We were considering the US (Florida / NYC) for a couple weeks but my eldest daughter is insistent she doesn't want to go to America for some reason.

Height of spoiled if you ask me but we started looking at Greece the other night as an alternative... Crete or Rhode, a nice resort for 10-14 nights. I love Cyprus but I've never been to the Greek Islands before so looking for any recommendations or advice from the lads that have been there with their families and know their way around. Kinda want to stay away from Spain as I've been too many times, avoiding Turkey too as we've done that and want something different.

Or as the thread title suggests, anywhere else you enjoy or can recommend.

Or just tell us all where you are off to/been this summer?

Sponsored Links
A thought for somewhere different, Morocco. Nice beaches, cheap, and it's very foreign for the distance. Kids would have to be old enough to be interested in the souks, etc.
Red sea - Sharm el Sheikh etc. Snorkelling is highly addictive, it's a wow the first time you see the crazy coloured fish. 4x4 blasts in the desert etc.

A thought for somewhere different, Morocco. Nice beaches, cheap, and it's very foreign for the distance. Kids would have to be old enough to be interested in the souks, etc.
Red sea - Sharm el Sheikh etc. Snorkelling is highly addictive, it's a wow the first time you see the crazy coloured fish. 4x4 blasts in the desert etc.

I'd love to see a lot of things in Egypt but what really puts me off is the pushy tourist trap types there who will not leave you alone. The people seem pretty rude tbh and almost every travel vlogger I've seen go to Egypt lately, even the ones who generally have nothing bad to say about their destinations, seem to crap all over Egypt and call it a terrible experience.

And to be honest I've heard much the same about Morocco from people I know unfortunately but that might be unfair on Morocco.

Done a bit of snorkelling in the Caribbean and I do love it... did a bit of Scuba years ago too and that was amazing.

Sponsored Links
Vietnam and Cambodia, lots of things to do & see, nice beaches , lovely people, great food, whats not to like.

Vietnam and Cambodia, lots of things to do & see, nice beaches , lovely people, great food, whats not to like.

My mate was just telling us today that he’s away there for 5 weeks at the end of the month. I’d go in a heartbeat because I love Asia in general but I couldn’t convince the missus unfortunately

I found (twice) that as Sharm el Sheikh is a bit isolated, the locals know they're lucky to work there and don't take the p.
All taxi fares are standard, etc. I left some money and passport in a taxi, but didn't realise until a couple of hours later. Lost passport was going to be a problem.... I asked a different taxi driver what to do. He got on his phone and it was brought round, all intact, and neither guy would take a tip.

Cairo is vile. Taxi drivers will follow you, to see if you buy anything. Then he hassles the shop owner for a tip. Telling them I was there for work and not buying anything shut them up. That works everywhere, but tricky if you have the family....

Morocco kids wanted pens, you watched for pickpocketing kids - like half the world. The adults were fine. Speak French, if not English. Say G'day Mate and they fall about. Ess ka voo poovay mayday, ay mate? Try on a tarboosh and everyone says "not like that, like that".

Best snorkelling/scuba was Venezuela, or maybe the Andaman islands...

The beautiful

United States of Europe - not

going to the USA - yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sponsored Links
Back