hollow tiles and bent walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have really bad walls in my bathroom, they are not straight. ive had the tiler in and noticed when he has laid the tiles down, in certains corners of the tile they are not touching the wall, but in the opposite corner of the same tile it is touching the wall. tiler said its because my walls are really bad and not straight.
tiler said, the grout will sink into the tile, and tighten it all up where its hollow in the corner, is this correct, what can be done??

Sponsored Links
i have really bad walls in my bathroom, they are not straight. ive had the tiler in and noticed when he has laid the tiles down, in certains corners of the tile they are not touching the wall, but in the opposite corner of the same tile it is touching the wall. tiler said its because my walls are really bad and not straight.
tiler said, the grout will sink into the tile, and tighten it all up where its hollow in the corner, is this correct, what can be done??
where the walls run off the tiler will have put a lot more adhesive on the tile,so this will look like it is away from the wall, once grouted it should be ok as long as the tiles are on level.May have been better to get a plasterer in first if walls were really bad.

It's more common that you might think. Ideally you want total coverage behind the tile, but what your tiler says is true. When he grouts, the grout will work its way in and behind the tile - thus supporting it. I'd say, if the tiles have been laid so that they look flat, I'd wait and see what it's like when he's finished and the grout is dry. I'd like to bet that you'd never know had you not see the odd edge unsupported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back