Hollow wall anchor disaster!....help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a breakfast bar, drill the 5 holes for my batten, had put 2 anchors in and all was lloking good. Partner comes along “want some help putting them in?” why not i thought.
So we screw them all (apart from 1) in to open up the anchors. Lauras doing the last one when ‘pop’, she took it too far and fcked it! Couldn’t get it out, ended up clawing it out, hence the mess of the wall!
Anyway, Please tell me this is a straight forward fix with plaster??? If it is, will it be as structurally sound as it was before, i.e. will i be able to put another anchor back in once ive patched it??

Thanks

G

Sponsored Links
This will give you an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedAiIzFZhM&p=0206514BF59454D3&playnext=1&index=21, the patch can then be repaired by taping joints and either filling out or you can use joint compound such as easi-fill!
But what I would say that fixing a breakfast bar to a hollow wall, without secure fixing to battens or studwork could be a problem.
I would do a bit of work and get some nogins in the wall to fix to!

you should be fixing to the studs, or as PrenticeBoyofDerry states, get some noggins in between them so you have more structural fixing points where required

Sponsored Links
Now you've got yourself an inspection hole ;), you can accurately locate the studs on either side for fixing the batten. Work out the spacing between stud centres (e.g. 400mm or 600mm etc). This should help you locate other studs. I'd also screw the breakfast bar to the batten near the stud fixings. You'll need at least 2 stud fixings.

A breakfast bar normally sticks out into the room, so your batten might be less than 600mm long and not even cross 2 studs. In this case you might have to follow PBD's advice and install a noggin or two.

Now you're not using the damaged area for fixing, you can follow manufacturer's instructions:

From Gyproc WallBoard product data sheet:

"Damaged core and/or broken edges (non-performance situations only) - Remove the damaged area of core. Score the liner approximately 10mm away from the sound plaster around the damaged area, and peel the paper liner away. Apply Thistle GypPrime or PVA to seal the core and surrounding liner. Bulk fill the hole with a stiff mix of Gyproc Easi-Fill or Easi-Fill 45, or Gyproc Joint Filler, and strike off flush. Apply Gyproc Easi-Fill or Easi-Fill 45, or two applications of Gyproc Joint Cement, once the filler is set/dry. When dry, apply Gyproc Drywall Primer or Gyproc Drywall Sealer (only suitable in non-performance situations)."

But hey, the damage will be hidden by the batten and breakfast bar. ;)

Oh, and well done to Laura for showing what a bad idea it is to use anchors for heavy fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back