home made bread problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I thought I'd try and make some bread...
I bought some "crusty bread mix" which only required warm water to be added and gave it a go..

it didn't turn out too bad but it seems to have slumped quite a bit..
I tried to make it a bloomer shape but during the proofing stage it kind of spread out and flattened..

any tips?

I think it may have been too wet maybe... or the "damp cloth" they said to put over it may have been too heavy?

Sponsored Links
I take it you're not using a breadmaking machine. Funnily enough, I was discussing breadmaking with my neighbour yesterday. We both find it difficult to get it to rise (the dough) in this cold weather. I put mine in the cupboard where the hot water cylinder is until it's ready to go in the oven. Maybe it's just too cold?

Can't say what went wrong with yours but I remember when we were kids my mum used to always make her own with totally raw ingredients, no pre-mixed stuff.
Flour and yeast had to be fresh, all the utensils, mixing bowl, spoons spatulas etc had to be warm and the kneading had to be hard and thorough. Finally the proofing heat had to be just right, you couldn't cover it with a damp cloth and then raise the heat the heat had to be at Temp when you covered the dough. And as you mentioned, it should only be a 'damp' cloth, not a wet one.

Good luck next time.

Theres certainly a problem coljack........
whichever way you wanna slice it....
;)

Sponsored Links
You can tell those that have never tried to do it, they're getting a bit crusty and the jokes are quite stale.
Still, lets drink a toast to their frivolity. :LOL:

But in all seriousness........... I dont know too much about bread making.......My uncle tried being a baker.........
But he couldn't make a crust........ :LOL:

I was going to try and sandwich a reply in between yours.

Take no notice of them Col. There is a knack to it though. You need to go to your local baker/supermarket et al and BUY some nice bread there. :D

He kneads to feel a sense of achievment, this would give his ego a rise.

ColJack, do you live in a 'cottage' or a 'tin' hut?

Not getting it right must have driven you 'barm-y', did you get a 'cob' on?

;) :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back