Breadmaker Broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was given a Panasonic SD255 breadmaker as a present a few years ago. A few months ago, it started producing loaves like bricks.

The recipe never varied and I was using a good strong bread flour.
I tried different flours, different yeasts, slightly warmer water.

No difference, so I gave up. I tried again last night.
Same flat brick loaf.

So I thought my breadmaker had died (had it gone to meet its breadmaker-maker?)
I went on various fora and various people suggested a faulty machine: one suggested a factory reset, a second suggested cleaning it thoroughly inside and a third reckoned there may be a fault with an embedded temperature sensor.

Sone folk had bought new machines only to find that they produced the same results.

However, an enterprising person had a similar issue and investigated whether the flour was to blame, as Panasonic suggests.

Turns out there has been a **** harvest due to bad weather and the gluten in the wheat is poor.

To make the dough rise properly, you need to add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the mix to strengthen the gluten.

I have now just finished my 3rd loaf and all is good.

http://thechiefexecutive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/panasonic-bread-machine-bread-not.html?m=1

Sponsored Links
amazing.

I think bread companies add ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

maybe that's why.

I did have that problem making wholemeal so I gave up.

I was given a Panasonic SD255 breadmaker as a present a few years ago. A few months ago, it started producing loaves like bricks.

The recipe never varied and I was using a good strong bread flour.
I tried different flours, different yeasts, slightly warmer water.

No difference, so I gave up. I tried again last night.
Same flat brick loaf.

So I thought my breadmaker had died (had it gone to meet its breadmaker-maker?)
I went on various fora and various people suggested a faulty machine: one suggested a factory reset, a second suggested cleaning it thoroughly inside and a third reckoned there may be a fault with an embedded temperature sensor.

Sone folk had bought new machines only to find that they produced the same results.

However, an enterprising person had a similar issue and investigated whether the flour was to blame, as Panasonic suggests.

Turns out there has been a **** harvest due to bad weather and the gluten in the wheat is poor.

To make the dough rise properly, you need to add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the mix to strengthen the gluten.

I have now just finished my 3rd loaf and all is good.

http://thechiefexecutive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/panasonic-bread-machine-bread-not.html?m=1

Im a bit of a novice with machine breadmaking having not had one for long.

I cant say Ive had a problem with loafs not rising. I use Wessex mill and FWP Matthews.

Im starting to prefer making dough in the machine and baking in the oven. Much nicer crust

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone!

The cap problem does not apply as I have witnessed it spinning freely and speedily.

Will keep my fingers crossed!

There is a dedicated refuse tip specifically for breadmakers - broken or otherwise. It has actually out grown the regular tip.:sneaky:

My ones working fine. I just use whatever strong white flour is cheapest at the time - usually supermarket own brand. For a change last week, I tried Allinsons very strong white flour. Didn’t rise as much as normal and very heavy.

There is a dedicated refuse tip specifically for breadmakers - broken or otherwise. It has actually out grown the regular tip.:sneaky:

I did wonder that when my wife thought it a great idea to buy one.

I could see it sitting sadly on the worktop next to its dusty friends, Simon Spiralizer and Larry the bullet Liquidizer

I used to make bread by hand, but don't any longer; does that me a defunct bread maker by any chance.

Usually found at the back of a kitchen cupboard they are often given away on Freegle recycling groups.
Our two may end up the same way.

Yeah, I think they are being used as a support for the counter top :)

And I was looking forward to another thread to determine which breadmaker you should buy this week! :(
Sorry to disappoint........

You could always help me choose a reputable computer supplier.
I have found a cracking system from Mesh but the firm gets a bad write-up.

Sponsored Links
Back