Homemade capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new fence put up, typical featherboard on rails and posts fence.

When in the garden it looks lovely, however when i look from upstairs i can see the posts.

I dont particulary like looking at them and i was wondering if theres any sort of capping that goes over posts, not just on individual posts but between posts, i.e. a long piece of wood you nail to each post but obviously that looks nice.

If not is there an easy way to make something like this? The posts are lower than the featherboard so something that could angle 45 degrees towards the featherboards would be great.

Sponsored Links
Go back to where you got the fence, or find a fencing supplier. There's a lot of options for capping both the posts, and the fences themselves. Why are the posts lower than the featherboards. They should be higher. You may need to glue a bit more post on to the top of the existing ones.

I cant say ive ever seen fence posts higher than the boards it would look stupid if they were

Common enough to see posts higher than the fence and probably a personal choice as to whether it looks right or wrong , but that really isn't the issue as for a capping you ideally need the tops of the posts and the boards so you may very well end up adding a bit to the post tops.
When everything is flush and tidy something like this should do the job ( this is just an example from a very quick search you understand)
http://www.atkinsonsfencing.co.uk/products/rails-capping/apex-timber-cap/

Sponsored Links
The posts go higher than the boards so that you can put a capping piece on top of the post. Because the post top is end grain, even treated wood will let in water, and eventually start to rot.

Yes I've done it that way even at some times using a lead capping. If I'm understanding the OP he wants to not be able to see the top of the posts or the boards so it in effect looks like a thicker wooden "wall" . That would require the boards and posts to be at the same height to allow a length of capping to run across the whole stretch of the fencing . If the posts were higher the capping would be in effect floating above the boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back