Honeywell 3 port motor replacement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I put my heating on last night for the first time afte the summer and it didn't come on. I have a 3 port mid valve (Honeywell V4073A) and the manual lever had resistance on it, so nthe motor is not moving over.

All wiring is fine and tight and the programmer was on for heating.

I removed the actuator head after turning off the power and removing the 3amp fuse to the circuit and found the spindle did move when gently turned. S i am thinking the motor is worn.

I bought a synchron motor today but after removing the actuator head, and the 2 screws securing the motor to the actator base, I cannot seem to remove the 2 wires from the motor, they (there is a small white block which he 2 wires are attatched to). This doesn't pull out though. I presume it is supposed to, to be able to fit the new motor in.

Any tips to remove this would be very useful please otherwise I will need a whole new actator head.

Sponsored Links
Had you checked you had power to the motor before deciding it was this at fault?

I always replace the complete head. The next thing to go will be the microswitch, then you will wish you had replaced the complete head.

Thank you for helping. I have used a multi meter and there was power to the white wire of the 3 port valve, so the room thermostat was calling and sending power to it.

Is it easy enough to get an actuator, I only saw whole valves or motors in the shop. Where can I get a new actator from without buying a whole new valve please :cry:

Was there 240v on the grey wire from the cylinder stat.

Sponsored Links
norm wen changing the synchron motor ya get some wire connectors with it so ya jus chop the old wires and connect them to the new motor, or ya could use a terminal strip.. might aswell try the motor seeing as you've already bought it!
personally if only the motor is required thats all i change anyway

No, this would be if no Hot water froma 3port wouldn't it? if there power on the 3 port grey wire terminal it would mean a dodgy programmer sending false signals though wouldn't it, and keeping the 3 port in the h/w closed (heating port only open) position. ?

Any local plumbers merchants should stock the head only. You may have to ask though, instead of them being readily on display.

ok thanks. i have also just seen in the toolstation catalogue a honeywell actuator, so may get that and change instead of just the motor (will get a refund on that)!! :)

In the htg only mode the grey wire drives the motor to the heating position, if there's not 240v on the grey the cylinder stat needs looking at.

all wiring is tight in wiring centre/at stats, etc. if the grey wire was not live with htg only on, then it could be due to a faulty actauot head/micro switch in it. the cyl stat would only supply the 3 port when power is given to it by the programmer. so if the grey wire was not live with htg on only, then the programmer would be at fault surely......

all wiring is tight in wiring centre/at stats, etc. if the grey wire was not live with htg only on, then it could be due to a faulty actauot head/micro switch in it. the cyl stat would only supply the 3 port when power is given to it by the programmer. so if the grey wire was not live with htg on only, then the programmer would be at fault surely......

If there's no power on the grey wire the cylinder stat is not powering the MV.

Faulty cylinder stat, or no power on 1 in the programmer.

wha has the cyl stat got to do with no heating??!!!

there was power to the 3 port white, but none to the orange. the lever has resistance on, meaning the moto was not moving across. if there was no resistance on the lever, it would mean a faulty microswitch in the actuator. and htg not on on its own.

wha has the cyl stat got to do with no heating??!!!

there was power to the 3 port white, but none to the orange. the lever has resistance on, meaning the moto was not moving across. if there was no resistance on the lever, it would mean a faulty microswitch in the actuator. and htg not on on its own.

Watch my lips.

If there's no power on the grey wire it cannot move across. :rolleyes:

The grey wire powers the motor, not the white.

You should only get power to grey wire when the HW is off at prog or satisfied on the cyl stat, This is NOT a fault with the prog (it's designed that way)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back