Honeywell 3 port motor replacement problem

WHITE puts power to the motor from the room stat call terminal. IF there is no call for H/W then yes GREY becomes live (due to the power from the PROGRAMMER) and the motor moves across to HTG ONLY OPEN position and puts power, 240V on to the ORANGE WIRE.

Sponsored Links
You should only get power to grey wire when the HW is off at prog or satisfied on the cyl stat, This is NOT a fault with the prog (it's designed that way)

yes I agree, power off at the prog (HW OFF terminal live) then grey wire will become live, 240v

if H/W is on at the programmer but the cyl stat is satisfied then also 240v at the grey wire terminal.

May I respectfully suggest that you remove the honewell clockface from the backplate and check that all the contact prongs are actually making a positive contact with the plates on the clock.

Just because you have indicator lights calling for heat does not mean the clock is sending a message to actuate the motor.

I found this the hard way.....

DH

Sponsored Links
Thats it I'm going to do some work. Read it and understand.

Valve open for Heating only
1. Switch off mains supply. Disconnect Grey
and White wires from appropriate junction box
terminals. Reconnect both Grey and White
wires to permanent live terminal in junction box.
2. Switch on mains supply. Valve motor should
now move to fully open heating Port A. The
motor should stop automatically when Port A is
open, and stay in this position as long as power
is applied to White and Grey wires. When Port
A is fully open, the Orange wire becomes live,
to start pump and boiler.

May I respectfully suggest that you remove the honewell clockface from the backplate and check that all the contact prongs are actually making a positive contact with the plates on the clock.

Just because you have indicator lights calling for heat does not mean the clock is sending a message to actuate the motor.

I found this the hard way.....

DH

i understand what you are saying: but the prog is working correctly, there IS power to the room stat, there is power from the room stat CALL terminal to the WHITE wire of the 3 port mid posisition MV. There is NO power to the ORANGE wire of the MV though (which also is in the same connection in the wiring centre as the LIVE for pump and boiler) - this means the MOTOR is faulty (not moving across OR the actator head: microswitch(es) is faulty).

The reason I suggested at 1st the motor was faulty was: resistance was felt on the MANUAL LEVER when moved, suggesting the motor was not motoring across at all......

Thats it I'm going to do some work. Read it and understand.

Valve open for Heating only
1. Switch off mains supply. Disconnect Grey
and White wires from appropriate junction box
terminals. Reconnect both Grey and White
wires to permanent live terminal in junction box.
2. Switch on mains supply. Valve motor should
now move to fully open heating Port A. The
motor should stop automatically when Port A is
open, and stay in this position as long as power
is applied to White and Grey wires. When Port
A is fully open, the Orange wire becomes live,
to start pump and boiler.

you are needlessly making this confusing. you do not need to do the above to fault find a motor/actuator!!!!!

wha has the cyl stat got to do with no heating??!!!

there was power to the 3 port white, but none to the orange. the lever has resistance on, meaning the moto was not moving across. if there was no resistance on the lever, it would mean a faulty microswitch in the actuator. and htg not on on its own.

Watch my lips.

If there's no power on the grey wire it cannot move across. :rolleyes:

The grey wire powers the motor, not the white.

the white will only power it to mid position.
the grey will power it fully across to hw closed.

There is nothing confusing about sticking the multimeter on the grey wire.

In the htg only mode there should be 240v on the grey

Either you have 240v or the cylinder stat, or terminal 1 on the programmer is faulty

Thank you seco ..... cleared this up!! Power to white, but resistance on lever: would mean that the motor is faulty (not moving at all across), or if no resistanbce on the manula lever then the micro switch in the valve head is faulty, not moving over to HTG only position and sending 240v to orange wire (pump and boiler)

BUT also if the grey wire was not live when HTG only is selected, it could mean a faulty programmer.....

There is nothing confusing about sticking the multimeter on the grey wire.

In the htg only mode there should be 240v on the grey

Either you have 240v or the cylinder stat, or terminal 1 on the programmer is faulty

yes i agree. also with both H/w and HTG OFF there will also be 240v on the grey wire (provided by the programmer's h/w off terminal being live)

so i apologise for sounding confusing !!

basically, you were saying although the 3 port motor or actuator may be faulty (due to no HTG), IF there was NO power on the GREY WIRE with HTG ONLY ON then it could be due to a faulty programmer .

asically, you were saying although the 3 port motor or actuator may be faulty IF there was NO power on the GREY WIRE with HTG ONLY ON then it could be due to a faulty programmer also.

No I am not saying that.

The grey gets its power from T1 in the programmer.

If there is no power on the grey, it could be the cylinder stat or the programmer, when in the heating only mode.

No power on the grey is not a faulty actuator.

i apologise, i have learnt something new today, i really am sorry for sounding idiotic!

I understand grey live means no h/w and htg port only open, and thus with heating only on, drives the valve frommmid position fully open and puts on power to the orange wire and thus pump and boiler.

how do i check it is not a faulty programmer or cylinder stat to make certain ??

One last time.

put the programmer on htg only, then get the multimeter out, and check terminal 1 from the programmer, and the sat wire from the cylinder stat.

Until you get 240v on the grey the htg only will not work.

You can link 240v to the grey to test the motor if you like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back