Honeywell help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this site and must say I found it very helpful so far (for a newbie)

The problem, I have a Honeywell Motorized Mid-position valve that had been working fine until last night (happy Christmas to you too).

With C/H and H/W on.. and temp gauge on the max .. Zip nothing.

Trying to be technical, I slide the "manual open" on the valve slider over (not to the locked state hook but as far to the right as it would go) and the boiler kicks off of the pumps starts to whirl. In the locked state on the hook it turns off, in the auto state it turns off.

I changed a radiator last week with success (in my eyes.. The ceiling is still in place), I did not touch anything else.

Can anyone suggest possible solutions (air, dirt, valve fault)

At the moment I have it clamped open to get some heat in the house but any help appreciated for fixing ASAP.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
valve fault.

Either the syncron motor, or one of the microswitches inside.

Test: Heating and Water off. With your ear next to the valve, heating on. Then wait 10 seconds. Can you hear the motor? It's pretty quiet. Try heating off and HW on. Can you hear the motor now?

If not, then go and buy a new syncron motor, easy to fit if you're mildly competent with a screwdriver. Otherwise you'll need to replace the whole valve head (not the wet bit- the plastic actuator comes off). Both are probably overpriced in a diy shed: i'd rush off to your local plumbers merchants today if I were you.

-------------------
PS- the fact you changed a rad is most likely coincidental, so don't let that put you off.

>PS- the fact you changed a rad is most likely coincidental, so don't let that put you off

The old saying, if it isn't broke don't touch it. Feels like that.

Thanks for the info, I will try your suggestion tonight.

I have seen the whole valve available to buy, I will ask about the components you mentioned but I am happy to replace as much as possible, the longer the thing lasts the better but with the least amount of mess and effort. Too much Christmas cheer needed.

One thing with my current solution, clamping open the manual lock (it does not working by using the hook on the manual side of the valve but having to take it further to the right for it to work), would that also make sense to the valve failure (microswitch fault??)

e.g. I should not try and clean out the system or air locks as there is just *no* chance of it being that. (I really am hoping you say yes, dont bother is just going to be the valve)

Thanks again and merry christmas to any readers
Martin

yes, don't bother, it's the valve. Its most likely the motor. replacing only the motor will be the cheapest solution.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back