Honeywell V4043H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A local heating firm has installed a new boiler, and cylinder system system for me, and includes several Honeywell V4043H and V4042B motorised zone valves.

Basically I want to see what's going on easily, and wondered if someone could tell me a breakdown of what wire does what ? eg. by colour and function, and voltage ??

The idea is I want to initially put a LED on each valve to give me a clear indication of which valve has operated and which hasn't, and then will also tie this into a computer monitoring system.

Cheers,

Barry

Sponsored Links
Thanks "gordonspants", that's just what I was looking for. I tried google but obviously missed it. Cheers, Barry

Sponsored Links
bengasman - I just wanted to visually see what zone valve was open or shut. There's no easy and quick indication of if the valve is open or not.

Cheers. B.

Push the 'manual' lever. If there's resistance then the valve is closed.

You need to pick up the auxiliary switch contacts.

Grey wire is usually 240Vac permanently live, orange is the switched supply to fire up the boiler/and/or pump or power a relay that does same.

If you've got several valves you may have some relays already in which case there may be some spare contacts that you can use.

Thanks for the replies.

Info from Gordonspants pointed me at
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/FAQ/2port.pdf
which shows the V4043B is Normally Open Valve and has no aux switch (and no manual lever). The V4042H is Normally Closed with aux switch.

I have a mixture of V4043H, V4043B, and 272848 (google says that's also a V4043H from a pack or something).

Maplins has a 240v Snap-In Neon Indicator Lamp, which it sounds like a good start for the short-term indicator.

I can hang the lamp off of either the brown wire (as this will light when the valve is being energised to open/close), or if it has aux switch (V4043H) I can use the orange wire (common contact) and also the grey (switched contact) to indicate when valve fully open.

Longer term I will just need to swap the lamp for a sensor to give me the signal into a computer interface etc, but I can save that for another day.

Cheers,

Barry.

You need to pick up the auxiliary switch contacts.

Grey wire is usually 240Vac permanently live, orange is the switched supply to fire up the boiler/and/or pump or power a relay that does same.

If you've got several valves you may have some relays already in which case there may be some spare contacts that you can use.

while this is correct please don't misread it into thinking that the contacts are not volt free,they are, what tipper means is usually a 230v feed is fed to one side of the switch and becomes a switched live on the other.
if the aux switch on any of the valves has not been used (doubtful)then you can use it for signaling.
any that have been used then be aware they will in all probability be in parallel with each other so you will have to rewire the contact to operate a double pole relay with one pole switching the boiler/pump and use the other pole for signaling
You could also use the brown wire on the valve for signaling but be aware this is at mains potential so you may need a relay depending on the application and also it will only prove power to the valve and not whether it has opened or not
or you could use a combination of both to give you an indication of

1 valve powered &
2 valve proved

depends on how sophisticated you want to be
how are you interfacing with the computer barry?
bms software/hardware?
I would be interested to know and is it a domestic project?

matt

Hi Matt,

What I'm going to do is buy a few of those Blue Snap-In Neon Indicator Lamp's from Maplins (they work at mains voltage), and put them all into a little display board. Then connect them up to a standard wiring terminal box.

At which point I'll then run the appropriate wires from the valves to the board. That's stage 1. Hopefully we get that working within the next few weeks.

Once that's done, at least I have a single point of reference for then taking it any further with computer interface. That's stage 2 - and completely unknown. Dunno about BMS (whatever that is). I will likely write my own software and use some 3rd party optically isolated interface. No idea at the moment. I'll report back when I get to that stage, but that will be months away.

Yes it's a domestic project. Purely and simply for me to avoid going out to the garage to check on whether my solar hot water system is working correctly.

Thanks (everyone),

Barry.

:rolleyes: If you understood how the system was wired you wouldn't need to fit neons etc.

The valves will be energised when either the cylinder stat calls for heat or the room stat calls for heat.

You may not be able to use the switches in the valves as typically they are wired with other valves (if fitted) in parallel, so the light will comes on when any valve is activated, and only tell you that the boiler is on.

:rolleyes: If you understood how the system was wired you wouldn't need to fit neons etc.

I don't understand what you're getting at here andy
he's using the neons to make a remote display panel have you read the thread properly ? :rolleyes:

the valves will be energised when either the cylinder stat calls for heat or the room stat calls for heat.

true but proving power to the valve doesn't prove its opened! as said it depends how sophisticated he needs to be

You may not be able to use the switches in the valves as typically they are wired with other valves (if fitted) in parallel, so the light will comes on when any valve is activated, and only tell you that the boiler is on.

Correct!

both points mentioned here
if the aux switch on any of the valves has not been used (doubtful)then you can use it for signaling.
any that have been used then be aware they will in all probability be in parallel with each other so you will have to rewire the contact to operate a double pole relay with one pole switching the boiler/pump and use the other pole for signaling
You could also use the brown wire on the valve for signaling but be aware this is at mains potential so you may need a relay depending on the application and also it will only prove power to the valve and not whether it has opened or not

have you read the thread properly ? :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back