Honeywell Valve needs changing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a problem at a mates house whereby the heating stopped working but the water was ok.

A boiler man came round & checked it out & diagnosed it to be the valve and he did something to make the heating come on at the same time the water does & said he would order a new valve.

This was a year ago & he still hasn't returned after numerous calls so I want to see if it's possible to do the job myself at less than half the price that was quoted.

Apparently we need a Honeywell 3 way valve & have seen these going for about £30-£40 at the cheapest. Boiler is a glow worm really old one.

So questions are:

1) How do I know whether need a motorised one or non motorised one?

2) Would I be able to change it myself?

3) If so then how is it done?

Many thanks to all the helpers in advance :eek:)

Sponsored Links
what's the model number on the old one?

replacement is simple, just buy the right one!

Hi,

I'm not sure of the model number as it doesn't say anywhere on it thats visible.

It says Honeywell on it & has some numbers stamped on it saying 8851.

Also there's a little switch kind of thing on the opposite end of where it says this number & it is set to 'open' whatever that means?

Thanks

You may be able to change the head of the valve if it is suitable, or just the Synchron motor inside it. This is easy-ish - if you know what you are doing. I can't tell you if you can do either of these jobs, so, if in doubt - don't.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks,

I don't know how to do it but am confident that can work it out if told how & maybe with some instructions from literature.

so can anyone please advise the steps on doing so from the beginning...like does the sytstem need draining? if I unscrew the valves, will there be water there?

Also whats the difference between motorised & non motorised valves & is there any way of knowing which I need?

Thanks

The model number will be under the meatl hood/cover. Make sure the power is off before removing it - mains voltage present.

If the metal cover has a dimple on it, you can change just the head. If not it is a complete drain down and new valve and head swop requred. As the other guy hasn't come back to such an easy job, I suspect the worst - take a photo of the valve from the side (showing the pipe connections) and take it to a local merchants for advice.

Also beware, Imperial pipework may be present ;)

thanks mate,

I'm going to try & take picture & put on here if you lot can advise me.

its looks like the top one mate...so how do i go about changing it?

The power head can be changed easily.Isolate electrics and remove silver cover.Locate and loosen 2 captive small brass screws and pull head off body.
Fit new head and change/connect wiring like for like.This can only be done if the valve has the later head.(dimple on the cover as shown)
Changing the body is best done by a diyer after draining the system to below the valve level.

Perhaps you could let me in on the reason for the laughter.The pics are of the same valve but the bottom one indicates a removable powerhead.
If there is a mistake then please let me know.

45yearsagasman";p="1876679 said:
Perhaps you could let me in on the reason for the laughter.

Are you serious?

The pics are of the same valve but the bottom one indicates a removable powerhead.

You said it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back