Horizontal unvented cylinder in loft conversion

An upright cylinder can reheat for only a short time and because of stratification can have a chunk of hot water at the top ready to use.
Which begs the question as to why you advised both top and bottom entry immersion heater thermostats to be @ the same temperature?

A horizontal cylinder mostly heats the water for the full length and so needs much more time to give useful HW after reheating from cold.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that nearly every plumber who quoted for my job did not like the horizontal idea for one reason or another. That led me to look in to them further and the joule internal and external design made sense to me. The only possible slight down side is they are not as efficient at preventing heat loss due to the large upper surface area radiating the heat although if I have the water on for an hour in the morning, then it is still about hot enough in the evening so happy days. The joule cost a bit more but was worth every penny and worked in the situation I had. I am not a plumber, just providing a real world review of this particular cylinder that might help another forum member.

Which begs the question as to why you advised both top and bottom entry immersion heater thermostats to be @ the same temperature?

:rolleyes:

Immersion heaters are either a back up on a gas heating system or the primary source of hot water on an electric only system.

But the top and bottom elements are intended to be used only one at a time for different purposes. Top one to heat smaller volume usually for top up needs during the day.

Bottom element to heat the whole cylinder and often timed for night use on off peak supplies.

Consequently each can be set to give the desired cylinder temperature.

All I can say is that nearly every plumber who quoted for my job did not like the horizontal idea for one reason or another. That led me to look in to them further and the joule internal and external design made sense to me. The only possible slight down side is they are not as efficient at preventing heat loss due to the large upper surface area radiating the heat although if I have the water on for an hour in the morning, then it is still about hot enough in the evening so happy days. The joule cost a bit more but was worth every penny and worked in the situation I had. I am not a plumber, just providing a real world review of this particular cylinder that might help another forum member.

They fulfil a need. In the 18 years I've been at this I've only installed 3, one made to order by one of the big boys, it split dramatically after a couple of years due to inferior grade material... Which they accidentally admitted to and had themselves banged to rights on.

The second was a similar situation to yours but replacing an existing unit.

The third was a fit as supplied and despite my advice was also connected to solar thermal..... It works fine off the boiler, but the solar is cack. That was made by Gledhill. Whom I think are shyte. Thankfully I was just in charge of the boiler connections.

Joule I have not tried in the horizontal, but their verticals are excellent value for money IMO and my go to brand now.... Even though I can get cheaper options. It's not always about cost.

Sponsored Links
They fulfil a need. In the 18 years I've been at this I've only installed 3, one made to order by one of the big boys, it split dramatically after a couple of years due to inferior grade material... Which they accidentally admitted to and had themselves banged to rights on.

Presumably being high up in the property then the falling 300 litres of water plus 22 litres/min until someone turned off the supply must have done a lot of damage to the property.

Did the maker accept responsibility and pay for the damage?

Did the maker accept responsibility and pay for the damage?

Can't remember about the damage - I think it was limited as it was above a utility room come converted garage. So thing it only meant a repainting of the ceiling and some patch repairs where screwdriver holes were punched through to direct the water.

They certainly paid for me to replace it with an OSO vertical cylinder plus all the ancillary plumbing involved in bringing the pipework to the new location. Plus of course the refund for the fabrication and installation of the original unit. The client was a lawyer and also sensible - a rarity.

That was lucky they were all reasonable.

I did ask my Iranian next door neighbour who was away a lot for a spare key but he refused.

The freezing weather pushed a 15 mm compression fitting in the loft apart.

After a few days when water was running from under the front door, I managed to externally turn off the mains water.

The whole house decorations were totally spoilt ! It was a four bedroom detached house!

Amusingly when he eventually came back after two months it had all dried out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back