Horror wiring - A small piece of advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a part P regisered electrician coming in a weeks time to replace a load of wiring in my kitchen, as well as earth my gas with thicker wire and earth my water which for some reason isn't done at all and fix some fused spurs for the living room lights which run off the sockets.

The quote from the electricians includes setting up sockets to replace my two wall sockets which are at either end of the worktops, install a wall socket for the new cooker hood and a new socket for the oven and gas hob ignition.

The owner before myself was a private landlord who did everything for himself that I have come across so far (including fitting a bathroom with no saintry ware!) After the gas engineer removed the oven and hob today, it looks like he probably did the gas fitting and electrical work by himself too.

View media item 3527
This is the wiring from the left socket to the socket behind the oven. A double plug adaptor was attached to this to take the oven and hob ignition.

View media item 3528
They have then chiselled a hole in the bottom of the socket box to run the wire from this to the junction box in the next picture, up to another socket which is sitting on top of the cooker hood, then back down to the junction box.

View media item 3529
Then along to the right hand socket.

View media item 3530
To be honest I half expected things to be like this, but was still horrified at the wiring. The socket is a little burned, but both plugs were BADLY burnt from the oven heat.

On top of that the oven was connected using hose pipe so all in all this installation was more than a little bit naughty.

What I need to know is where should the sockets be for the oven and gas ignition? I know the electricians ought to know, but I want to feel safe in the knowledge that things are exactly where they should be once the work is done.

The base unit set up will be 80cm then 60cm (oven unit) then 60 cm.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm really worried about getting this right for the safety of my family and my insurance.

Sponsored Links
Building regs say 300mm away from hob edge and 150mm above worktop. It can not be fitted directly above a hob. From what you have found I would seriously consider a full rewire, then you know everything is to current standard.

So not in one of the cupboards then?

It's just I have never seen a built in oven in my life (whether right or wrong), where the switches to it are visible.

Sponsored Links
Not to sound argumentative, but if I knew what was right I wouldnt have asked.

All I'm saying is I have never seen them. Even If I had seen the sockets it wouldnt have meant I knew everything else was right with a setup.

I've seen stand alones in cooker sockets etc. But not built under ones where they can take 13amp plugs.

If they still have to be above bench level then so be it, will have to get a holes in the worktops and run the wiring through everything to get to them.

No - above the worktop you install a switched FCU, and below the worktop you install a flex outlet plate to connect the oven flex. All the fixed wiring is buried in the walls, not on the surface running through notches in the worktop!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back