Horstmann Quartz Economy 7 unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I wonder if anyone out there can help me please. A couple of nights ago my water did not heat in the night. I have checked fuses for both stats and checked the 2 stats themselves by switching them round as the boost function does work. The timer clock for the overnight function is working but when it reaches off peak hours it is not switching the 'Off Peak" light on. Have I missed something or has it died do you reckon. Its only 5 years old.
Thanks in advance. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Next time the OP supply is switched on, be ready with a two-pole tester to see if the supply into the unit comes live.

Thanks for this. I've a mate whose an electrician whose away at the moment so will pass this on to him if I can't get it fixed before he's back. I'm guessing the supply is fine though because the Boost light comes on when that dial is activated and as a result water is heated that way and also the timer clock is still functioning. Its as though there is a problem between the timer and the switch or whatever it is that turns the stat on for over night water heating.

As you have eliminated the thermostats, there are only 2 possible failures:
1. the timer / controller unit has failed, replacement is a simple swap, making sure you get the exact same model to replace the broken one. As the 'off peak' light isn't working, this is the most likely failure.
or
2. the lower immersion heater element has failed, in which case it is a plumbing job to replace it.

The timer unit has a single supply. The timer part switches on the lower heating element at night, and the boost function switches on the upper element.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back