Hospa screw Vs ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read that hospa are the go to for kitchen units/ chipboard but i am finding it tricky to find them so what alternatives can i consider I am looking for 30x4.5

Sponsored Links
Not found Google yet then?
Perhaps I should of been clearer. I should of said local.
By that I mean screwfix toolstation b&Q ect. Looking on ebay and amazon strugling there too for the size I need 4 or 4.5 x30. And on either there are hardly anyone selling. screwure.JPG
Even the link you gave to the hafele site do not have the size - so I looked in normal steel as your link was stainless steel and yes I can buy them but min 1,000 screws I don,t mind 200 but 1,000 and I have to sign up to get prices. -- Struggling you see.scure.JPG
My local supa dupa fixings supply do not stock. I can find from various UK wide kitchen fitters ect but with £8 post on a £4 box.
Think I will go for spax chipboard screws or timco.

Sponsored Links
Any broad thread with hold well in chipboard.
I'll disagree with you on that point - Hospas are the go to in the kitchen trade simply because they can be driven straight into MFC withgout pre-piloting but with minimal damage, unlike cheap screws. They also come in BZP finish as standard. So no, any old screw isn't as good and many screws burr up or burst the melamine coating on carcasses.

The best alternative in terms of performance is probably the Reisser cutter (although they aren't quite as good IMHO), but with the caveat that getting those in BZP finish often isn't that easy, either. You can generally pick-up smaller quantities of Hospa screws from sellers on eBay, but as they are normally a kitchen trade supply, unless you have a kitchen component supplier locally who is willing to supply to non-trade, you will most likely be out of luck. In my experience Hospas aren't something a builders merchants or ironmongers stock, although I do have one trade ironmonger in Manchester who can get them to order next day (however, in trade box sizes)

I'll disagree with you on that point - Hospas are the go to in the kitchen trade simply because they can be driven straight into MFC withgout pre-piloting but with minimal damage, unlike cheap screws. They also come in BZP finish as standard. So no, any old screw isn't as good and many screws burr up or burst the melamine coating on carcasses.

The best alternative in terms of performance is probably the Reisser cutter (although they aren't quite as good IMHO), but with the caveat that getting those in BZP finish often isn't that easy, either. You can generally pick-up smaller quantities of Hospa screws from sellers on eBay, but as they are normally a kitchen trade supply, unless you have a kitchen component supplier locally who is willing to supply to non-trade, you will most likely be out of luck. In my experience Hospas aren't something a builders merchants or ironmongers stock, although I do have one trade ironmonger in Manchester who can get them to order next day (however, in trade box sizes)
So I am just about to fit 14 new cabinet doors and will be using the screwfix Hafele hinges they come with the fat screw attached for the carcus plate and normal screws for the door cup, do you think I should not use the supplied screws but instead invest in the hospa ones.

I looked at the rizer cutter ones but as the cabinet frame is 18mm i just thought that a lot of useful thread is wasted/ cut away to make the cutting angle leaving not much actual thread in the frame.

So I am just about to fit 14 new cabinet doors and will be using the screwfix Hafele hinges they come with the fat screw attached for the carcus plate and normal screws for the door cup, do you think I should not use the supplied screws but instead invest in the hospa ones.
I'd just use the ones supplied unless they are Chinese...

I looked at the rizer cutter ones but as the cabinet frame is 18mm i just thought that a lot of useful thread is wasted/ cut away to make the cutting angle leaving not much actual thread in the frame.
Which is partly why kitchen fitters tend to use Hospas...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is your opinion of Confromat screws?

Over the years I have known guys that use them with the drill bit that does the clearance hole, counter sink and pilot hole at the same time.

Oh, and good to see you back. Respect.

What is your opinion of Confromat screws?

Over the years I have known guys that use them with the drill bit that does the clearance hole, counter sink and pilot hole at the same time.

Oh, and good to see you back. Respect.
You saved me an extra post.When I was breaking down the very old kitchen cabinest I came across thoses - never seen them before and thought they looked really good and strong so i salvaged them for future use.

I have ordered the Hospa 15mm x3.5 screws and will do away with the unknown supplied ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back