hot tap draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut off the cold at the mains and the hot supply with the wheel besides the cylinder, then drained both hot and cold supplies at the ground floor sink until they both stopped.

Mid way through the tap swap job, the hot supply starts leaking and seems to get worse as time goes on - prolly loosing about a pint or so. I think it was due to air getting in the pipe ? Anyway it made fitting new sink taps a wet affair until I got the pipes re-connected.
How can I avoid the hot tap leaking like this in future .. maybe empty the sistern completely ?

Sponsored Links
it may have a been a pipeful - from someone opening an upstairs hot tap!

you could hire a pipe freezer. or buy a freezing aerosol in a can. You need to work quick with the later though.

Sponsored Links
seems easier to either bung the cwt or run it empty..then slap on a new gate valve if indeed its letting by...
could have been a pipefull as chris said but obviously he drained by opening both upstairs and downstairs taps ?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back