Hot water cylinder boss size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bossmedium.jpg

Following on from a previous post I would like to take the advice given and fit an essex flange to give a dedicated feed for a new shower. I've had a feel around the hot water cylinder and near the top on the side I came across a boss. It looks like I could use it for the flange but before I drain down and take out the plug is there any way to tell what size/type it is so I can get the correct essex flange first? BTW I can't see the boss only feel it as it's on the side of the cylinder close to the wall of the housing cupboard.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
thats an immersion heater boss ;)

Are you sure, the immersion heater boss is on the top of the cylinder and about 7cm across where as this one is on the side of the cylinder about 6cm down from the start of the dome and feels about 3.5cm across?

Sponsored Links
I'd tend to agree with seco, but seeing the state of it and as you say it's pretty inaccessible I would go for an essex flange in an easy to get at position.
ps, a photo is often a good idea but when a size is involved there needs to be some sort of reference in the pic :idea:

ps, a photo is often a good idea but when a size is involved there needs to be some sort of reference in the pic :idea:
I would have liked to have taken the shot form further away but I simply couldn't due to the wall.

I would have liked to have taken the shot form further away but I simply couldn't due to the wall.

further away wouldn't of done much either a reference ie a ruler.
Considering where the boss is I think I did well to get a picture at all, trying to hold a ruler as well would have ended in tears. But I take your point. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back