Hot Water Cylinder Problem

Don't recall the immersion being pre fitted. The cap says it's Titanium but no brand name.

Sponsored Links
My expectation would always be the immersion is leaking at the joint where it is screwed into the cylinder.

You need to leave it cold as before and inspect the joint VERY carefully.

If leaking it probably needs to be removed and the joint made again. The seal should be a washer with NO jointing compound, some fit some which makes it very difficult to remove.

I apply silicone grease to both faces of the washer as well as to the threads.

Even if you cannot see any leaking, its such a small job to check the tightness of the immersion that I would probably do that just in case.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks, that's encouraging. I am going to contact my plumber friend tomorrow and if not him then I will contact someone recommended by a friend as I have a couple of small jobs I want to get priced at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Definitely paste needed. A lubricant will just dry off eventually and your left with a leak.

Silicone paste is virtually inert and does not dry out.

In any case it's more of a lubricant than a sealant although it stops the gasket from sticking to the metal.

These gledhill cylinders have a large o ring around the immersion as opposed to a washer. You usually get two with the cylinder i normally tape the spare to the top of the cylinder to help the next plumber out.

Quick update. Have managed to make contact with my regular plumber, apparently his phone had "blown up" whilst on holiday and he lost all his information , including his photos, so didn't know who had called. His first comment regarding the tank was that it was strange but as mentioned here wondered if the immersion fitting could be the problem. He is going to call in later this week.

I think it will be the immersion too. Never really trusted them o rings although ive not had a problem with them to date. Fitted about ten over the years.

Hi, quick update. Let HWC go cold and it started to leak along the o-ring stops as soon as HWC is heated. Thanks for all the help.

So have you tried to tighten it?

Or called a professional to do it?

Unless it is significantly loose it will probably need to be removed and have the mating surfaces cleaned and a new sealing ring.

Tony

Our regular plumber will fix it when he comes to do some other jobs.

At least you solved the mystery which seems to be connected with your absence from home! See, plumbing is sometimes like CSI :LOL:

Final post. After trying to refit the immersion with hemp rather than an O ring our plumber discovered it was still leaking. Closer inspection showed that it was leaking at the head i.e where the electrical terminals are and when removed again it seems one or perhaps two of the joints where the element tubes go into the HWC had a crack. I thought I had checked for water there originally so I think the act of removing the immersion made the break permanent.

New XB484 thermostat on order from Gledhill at cost of £86.15 incl VAT. Gledhill advised that fitting any other immersion would invalidate the remaining warranty on the HWC and also that their immersions heat from the bottom so you can get a full tank of hot water.

Really annoying thing is that I have probably only used the immersion twice since it was installed!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back