Hot water low pressure after Diverter Valve replacement

Other than the fact it's still leaking now (but from a different place) another problem I've noticed since the repair is that the boiler makes a lot more "banging" and metal "clanking" noises than it did before. I read something about kettling might be the cause of this because there is limescale in there but why would it start being much noisier immediately after the repair? (At first, I'd just assumed that the noise meant the boiler was functioning more efficiently or something but I came across kettling y/day).

So to summarise the three problems:

1. Still leaking
2. Greatly reduced water flow rate.
3. Frequent banging/clanking noises.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler still has rubber hoses on the inside, the same crap that killed the diverter valve could be causing the noises and is a different fault.

The leak could be from the service valve spindle. Again caused by the same crap that took out the diverter valve.

Neither of which will be covered under the original repair.

If the boiler still has rubber hoses on the inside, the same crap that killed the diverter valve could be causing the noises and is a different fault.

The leak could be from the service valve spindle. Again caused by the same crap that took out the diverter valve.

Neither of which will be covered under the original repair.

How would you account for the noises suddenly appearing straight after the repair? It was nowhere near as noisy before that, although did bang once in a while, possibly a couple times a day. But now it's probably once every 10 to 20 minutes, and this happened immediately after the repair. There must be some sort of connection there. The engineer also checked the flue and that now seems to be noisier than usual (especially when it's windy outside).

Sponsored Links
The act of draining down the boiler moved the crap around inside and that is restricting flow.

You have admitted it did it before.

I can see the exact place it's leaking from is the CH RETURN pipe, underneath the boiler. The engineer didn't tighten it properly before he left so that's his fault and he'll have to correct his mistake. I've actually tried tightening the screw and it's now reduced the amount it's leaking quite a lot - it's slowed down.

Just needs to be a little tighter to stop the leak altogether I would guess but I don't have a good enough tool to get it any tighter.

Since I did tighten it though, the banging seems to have reduced a bit. Is that just my imagination or could there be a connection there?

It's the connected pipe second from the top, you can even see a small drip of water forming there about to drip behind the screw.

2ebhdfd.jpg

Last edited:
That's not the engineers fault. That's just crap Vaillant build quality.

No, that's the engineers fault since that pipe wasn't leaking until the engineer unscrewed it. His action of unscrewing it literally caused the new leak. I actually saw him unscrew that area, then a gush of water sprayed out and he quickly screwed it back - right at the start of the job. He obviously didn't screw it back tight enough.

Can you post a picture that wasn't taken by Stevie Wonder?

From the blurred photo you've posted that drip looks to be coming from the spindle of the service valve.

Can you post a picture that wasn't taken by Stevie Wonder?

From the blurred photo you've posted that drip looks to be coming from the spindle of the service valve.

Well it sounds like you're just interested in trying to defend the engineer and that's not really of any use to me, I'm not here to engage in that sort of debate and not interested in hearing anyone's opinion about it. But cheers anyway.

No - you just don't hear the answers you WANT to hear. Post a picture that is clear, or don't bother seeking advice. Simples.

Service valves on boiler are universally crap. You have no idea what the various bits of the valve do and haven't clearly indicates which bit is leaking. Ergo, the advice given is the advice based on years of experience and the quality of the information given.

My last car's clutch was fine until my brother drove it. Did I blame him for it failing? No. I considered all the other variables other than the simple and obvious.

The "you touched it last" argument from customers is supremely annoying and seldom relevant; usually tried on by whinging little ingrates looking for a freebie.

It may be something he has broken, but so far I'm thinking, not so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back