Hot water smells of vanilla

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a new one on me, vaillant system boiler and uvhw cylinder. Cold water is fine, hot water has a strong vanilla type of chemicalish smell. Anyone ever had anything similar?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a Yankee candle near by?

Is it a recently new installation?

I don't know it's for a customer, system is years old but smell is new. Sealed hw and ch system. Might well have a candle, but I went there thinking 'of course your hot water smells' but it really does.

Any neighbours experiencing similar? Might be a supply additive that affects water when heated? Just my tuppence worth :D

Sponsored Links
there was one case I heard of were a smell was coming into hot water system , it was something to do with the unvented expansion vessel membrane decaying.

The use of some flexible tap connectors can give a peculiar smell to hot water as the 'rubber' liner decomposes when heated

The use of some flexible tap connectors can give a peculiar smell to hot water as the 'rubber' liner decomposes when heated

Agreed. I was thinking of asking if any other plumbing works may have been done recently, ie new taps!

Maybe it's a new directive by the HSE and the scent is added to warn people that "THIS WATER MAY BE HOT" :LOL:

I'm going to say theat somehow one of the cylinders has probably been stagnant for some time and with recent valve problems he's had his handyman has somehow adjusted something to make one of the stagnat cylinders become active.

Attachments

• IMG_5557.JPG
    IMG_5557.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 103

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back