Hot Water Tank + Central Heating Motor Gone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a new Condensing boiler installed therefore the hot water tank and central heating pump have been removed from our airing cupboard.

This leaves a redundant electric point in the cupboard which is 13amp fused (i.e. a fuse and switch above the electric socket) and which I would like to use as a double 3 pin socket to hide our electric toothbrush chargers.

The electrical connection left is a socket box in the wall into which I just need to mount a double 3 pin fascia.

The problem is that, aside from the earth wire which is easily identifiable, there are 8 wires terminating and they are red, blue, yellow and black coloured. As well as the easily identifiable earth wire I obviously need one live wire and one neutral wire.

How can I identify them?

Sponsored Links
What exactly have you got? A picture would be nice for clarity - I THINK you have a double backbox next to a 13 amp fused switch.

It sounds like the 8 wires are heating control wires - running to thermostats and programmers (this will be correct if this backbox was used as a wiring centre for the old heating system). These are redundant since you now have a combi boiler.

You need the supply from the 13 amp fused switch. This will be red black and earth (emerging from one outer sheath). Connect this to your double socket. Always make sure everything is dead using a multimeter.

Steve

Yes you are correct. I didn't explain very well but yes it is a plastic recessed double backbox next to a 13 amp fused switch. There are 3 grey sheathed cables entering the backbox and I do have a photo but don't know how to upload it with this reply.

The wires from these cables are terminated into a plastic terminal strip with 7 terminals.

Sorry, I'm not good with descriptions but its the type of thing that you can join 2 wires together with by inserting them from opposite ends and then tightening the 2 screws and if you just want to join 2 wires you can cut one terminal from the block of however many.

There is an an Earth wire terminating at one of the terminals, 4 single wires terminating at four of the other terminals (RED, Yellow, Blue, Yellow), 2 red wires into a single terminal and a blue and black into the remaining terminal.

I am assuming that those three cables spur from the fused switch and can be disconnected from there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back