Hot water tank

I've never professed to know what I'm doing with anything none electrical, and I've never done anything more than wire these water heaters up. I'm just asking whether I'd be allowed to replace an element.

I like asking questions and learning from knowledgeble people like your self.

What are the other safety devices on an unvented water heater?

Sponsored Links
I thought, and am willing to be proved wrong (or right) that there was some legal framework regarding qualifications for people working on pressurised systems, no just manufacturers' instructions.

It can't be a Gas regulation, because some of them run on electricity, and it can't be an Electrical regulation, because some of them are fed from gas (or oil or coal) boilers.

(it is said to be possible, if you put enough time and effort into disabling all the overheat and overpressure safety devices, to make unvented systems turn into steam boilers, and burst)

On a direct cylinder....

Pressure reducing valve.
Expansion relief valve
Expansion vessel (or bubble depending on model).

Indirects have the 2 port valve or G3 equivalent as well.

All should be checked when work is carried out just like we have to on gas and you guys do on wiring.

Have you seen one of these go bang?

I'm in the bath at the moment, but look for "water heater blast mythbusters" on you tube. Eye opening I can assure you.

Sponsored Links
Have you seen one of these go bang?

I bet you haven't.

And? :rolleyes:

The fact that is haven't is totally irrelevant.

They can and have. They devices are in place to prevent that from happening.

Stuffing them full of PTFE might stop them leaking at the joints, but it won't stop several 000,000's of litres of superheated steam escaping a metal container likely to be splitting into lots of shrapnel is it?

don't be silly.

I thought, and am willing to be proved wrong (or right) that there was some legal framework regarding qualifications for people working on pressurised systems, not just manufacturers' instructions.

...etc.

It will be the building regulations, followed by criminal charges if anything goes wrong.

I fail to see you asking me if I have seen one go wrong is related to the question on legal framework.

Star Elementary is one to look up. School in America that went bang killing lots of kids.

Watts industries introduced the idea of safety devices on these things and film they made to prove the point nearly sent them out of business.

Interesting DVD that one.

So yes, I have seen them go bang; but no, not in the flesh. And long may it remain so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back