Hot water: yes - heating: no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm able to get hot water but the heating isn't working.

I've suspected a faulty 3 port valve in the past - is that a reasonable starting point to check the issue?

Sponsored Links
You have provided scant information about your system and therefore should expect a scant number of responses.

Scant reply....

What about turning up the room stat!

It could be. If you have a multimeter and can use it safely, check that there is a main supply across the blue wire (N) and white wire (L) at the motorised valve when the central heating is switched on and the thermostat calling for heat. If there is, remove the cover of the valve and see if the valve moves as you switch the central heating and hot water on & off. It it doesn't move the valve is faulty.

If there is not a main supply present, you will have to check back the wiring back to the programmer and room thermostat and find if there is a live supply there (I'm assuming here that you have them, as your info is a little sparse), it's possible but less likely that either of those could be faulty.

Even if the valve does have a mains supply and moves position, that doesn't mean it is OK. At the end of its travel to the central heating position, it will operate a microswitch that energises the orange wire that fires up the system. The microswitches are quite a common failure.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't posted much info because I thought I knew what the problem was and was expecting a series of "yes, great place to start checking".

Turns our it was an issue with the wireless programmer.

I've now got the heating going but it's on along with the hot water so assume that means the 3 port valve is also knackered.

Separate thread to follow.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back