Hot weather,leave water out for the birds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I know majority of us leave food out for the birds in winter but in this hot weather we also need to leave water out for them..left a couple of trays out filled last night and will do tonight . I have been at work all day but other half said a lot of birds drinking today.. see RSPB link for appeal

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/349800-rspb-issues-hot-weather-warning

Sponsored Links
We usually get blackbirds sitting on the head of our 'frog-fountain' and dipping their beaks in the water, but I haven't seen a one during this hot weather. I have a short video of a bird doing that, but I'm not sure whether it's possible to post it on here.

I also put out a bowl of water taken from the fountain, but that's mainly for the cat. He refuses to drink tap water, but is quite happy to drink from any standing water.

I threw out some stale bread today as well. Enjoy!

Since moving to the country have begun to feed and water them every day.
Also drive more carefully going to work at 5.00am each morning as there are often rabbits, foxes munk-jacks and a host of other creatures about.

Oh, and we have Limping Larry the wood pigeon with his girlfriend Luscious Linda and Dave & Diedrie the two doves who will all happily strut around as though they own the place, even when we are sitting quite close to the feeding table.

Sponsored Links
I left out a bowl of water,were is best place to leave it.

I had a cat,it ate anything that moved,pigeons,mouse,birds always left the entrails,i suppose that was conpliments to the chef

I had a cat,it ate anything that moved,pigeons,mouse,birds always left the entrails,i suppose that was conpliments to the chef

My cat's a bit more discriminating. Even whilst a young man he'd eat birds and mice, but turn his nose up at snails, slugs and frogs.

Mind you, he's not French.

My cat loves this weather, the birds are just that bit slower! :mrgreen:

My cat's too slow to catch birds now, especially in this weather. He's a 17 year old OAP now.

Our tabby and white is also getting on a bit, and his hunting days are well behind him. Recently, a Felix look alike (the cat food adverts) young cat moved in next door, and as our cat is quite a large cat, he bosses the newcomer around.

The other day, young 'un caught a bird and our cat bullied him into 'giving' his hard-earned prey to him. Crafty little b*gger!

(I only really told this tale as I know LMB likes hearing about the exploits of our feline friends :LOL: )

The other day, young 'un caught a bird and our cat bullied him into 'giving' his hard-earned prey to him. Crafty little b*gger!

(I only really told this tale as I know LMB likes hearing about the exploits of our feline friends :LOL: )

That's what lions do. The lioness catches the prey, then the lion comes along and insists on first go at the food.

I think we have a lot to learn from nature.

That's what lions do. The lioness catches the prey, then the lion comes along and insists on first go at the food.

Yes, relatives live in the sticks. Younger female cat goes out in the fields, regularly bringing back rabbits. The older male has them off her when she brings them home and she gets very little out of it.

I'm hoping to try this with 'er indoors. Let her keep going out to work every day, earning the money, whilst I while away the hours in the pub. Fat chance. :cry:

Yes, relatives live in the sticks. Younger female cat goes out in the fields, regularly bringing back rabbits. The older male has them off her when she brings them home and she gets very little out of it.

I'm hoping to try this with 'er indoors. Let her keep going out to work every day, earning the money, whilst I while away the hours in the pub. Fat chance. :cry:

So is your wife in the woods with a 'rabbit'?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

That's exactly our arrangement. She works; I've retired. Mind you, I'm nine years older than her, so that's fair.

That's exactly our arrangement. She works; I've retired. Mind you, I'm nine years older than her, so that's fair.

Sounds like a cradle snatcher to me..

Sponsored Links
Back