hotel radiator query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stayed at a hotel last night. 300 rooms over 8 floors.

The radiator in the room was unlike any i've seen before. It has both pipes entering the rad at the left underneath. And the pipes have what look like crimped connections on them. The supply is what looks like copper painted white, and the tails to the rad are plastic. I suspect most of this is European stuff. Would an install like this have been done by European contractors? Is it good quality? Why crimped connectors?

So how is the heat distributed around a hotel like this? Would there be 8 pumped circuits, one per floor? Or just one big pumped circuit.

Pictures:

Photo0836.jpg

Photo0834.jpg

Sponsored Links
Uponor multilayer pipe good quality and its been available here for years

Steve, I suspect you weren't sharing the hotel room that night with a Foxy Lady...

No, and got a bit bored in the morning. Had some time to kill. Come on lads I want answers. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Wirsbo Unipipe, but be warned you need adapters to uk sizes e.g. 16mm. 18mm, 20mm.

The pipe has an aluminum barrier, and stays where you bend it unlike plastic pipes, I give it 8/10, more if it was uk sizes.

They do magic radiator tails in chrome.

The radiator is a Stelrad.

The TRVs are Oventrop 'multiblock T'. I haven't seen them before. I'd e-mail Oventrop Uk and they should be able to tell you who makes the compatible rads. At a guess, it's an European hotel chain and they've imported a standard specification used in the rest of the chain.

The piping could be arranged anyway you like. A common arrangement is central risers with distribution pumps on each floor, possibly also with a mixing valve set, maybe 2 sets for separate zoning of rooms on opposite facades.

The radiator is a Stelrad.
Is this a special order one then? Cant find it on their website, not this config anyway. And does it require special TRVs?

They are Stelrad Planar DG6006 should be available from BSS , PTS etc.

It's important to note the flow and return, they are not reversible.

Valves could be the standard straight patt LS and TRV

Onetap, its a brand new (well a few years old) building, built by an Irish hotel chain, Bewleys, in Leeds.

Cheers for the info lads. Its just nice to see something new on such an old, familiar and reliable design. And that pipe looks interesting. Many people use it? If not why not?

The pipe is brilliant far better than normal plastic, and it don't get nicked like copper.

You need the clamping tool which is a bit pricey and adapters to UK sizes.

Uponor pipe

very good for fixing burst pipework when acess is a issue. The way it conects is mad :eek: cut the pipe to lenght, fit a socket onto end and crimp with tool. Then insert this onto the other end of pipework and pull out a cable tie brillant.

Price is big tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back