Hotpoint Fridge Freezer intermittently tripping power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first time posting. I'm trying to find out the problem with my Hotpoint fridge freezer.

Before Xmas, the power tripped. As time has gone on, we've determined that it's the fridge freezer. It's become more frequent now. When the door is opened (and not every time) the power trips. Other than that, we've not notice any issues with it. Temperature is as it should be, lights aren't flickering, all noises are normal and opening the freezer drawers doesn't trip it.

Sometimes the door can be just opened or it will be open for a little while before tripping the power.

We've pulled it forward, so it's not so close to the wall. We've changed sockets (it's not in an extension) and I've even changed the fuse and we're still having problems.

I'm trying to avoid anything too expensive in resolving this. I'd appreciate any advice, please

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in thinking that it only happens when you open the fridge door not the freezer door or is it just a fridge with a built in freezer compartment. If the former then try removing the bulb from the lamp as that is usually the only thing that switches when you open the door. If it does then you have a problem with the light circuit. Providing the model number may help others advise

Hi
Thanks for the advice.
I started to look at the lights, but we soon found the problem was something else.
There's an electrical cable running from the top of the fridge into the left hand door (no idea why or what's its for!). On closer inspection we saw that the cable was badly damaged and exposed.
After trying to fix the cable & having no luck, we ended up using insulating tape.

So far, the electricity hasn't tripped and the fridge freezer is still working

Still don't know what the cable into the door was for. Everything appears to be working as it should

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back