Hotpoint washing machine not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, would be grateful for some advise please.
We have a Hotpoint Aqauarius washing machine that has served us well for about 8 years but now the drum is not being drained of the water fully, therefore leaving the clothes very wet after being washed, the filter at the back of the machine (the black cup) is clean and empty, this was done not so long since as water was leaking from the detergent draw and cleaning the filter fixed this.
Would this be a faulty pump? Are they easy and cheap to fix or is it time for a new washer?

Any advise would be grateful, thanks for your time!!

Sponsored Links
It could well be the pump but could just be a blockage in the outlet hose. Sometimes you don't even need a new pump, it could be something like a rubber band caught round the impeller. Using this video as a guide you can strip and inspect the pump and hose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kLilSsdhY

Thanks for the reply Fidom!!!
I have actually seen this video since I posted and will give it a go later tonight.
My wife has actually taken it upon herself to go and buy a new washer already this morning. Might try and fix it myself still anyway, or is it worth it? How much do 2nd hand washers go for?

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for your replies guys.
As we've now ordered a new one anyway not going to bother trying a repair, would have done had a new one not been ordered.
I did take the old one out last night for the company who is delivering the new to take away and looked in the pump and the impeller looked fine. So I reckon it was either a knackered pump or sensors, either way I guess I'll never know.

I have a hotpoint aquarius wf560. It was flashing reduced creases and mini load, after reading a few posts on here, I came to the conclusion that it was the pump. I have taken the back off and cleaned the filter and pipes going to this, put it all back together but it still stops when it comes to draining the water and just hums rather than pump the water out. Can anyone help?

Yeah that's what I have been looking at. I've found the pump for £18, which isn't bad and the youtube link tells you exactly what to do. So I think I will be putting on order. Everything else has been cleaned, so it's all clear but it just continues to hum when it reaches to the point of draining, is this what happened to you.

Before you order the pump you should try seeing if it will drain into a bucket as it could be a blockage in your house plumbing. When trying this you will need to loop the drain hose upwards then down into the bucket or it will drain by gravity. If the pump hums but does not turn it could be something like a rubber band caught round the impeller.

Hi, I see that a lot of people keep talking about the impeller, can you please tell me what part that is, in laymens terms.

If you remove the pump you will find it is possible to remove the motor section from the housing either by taking out screws or by releasing a bayonet arrangement. The impeller is the bit that looks like a boat propeller and spins to pump the water. It can sometimes break free from the motor shaft or can get jammed by an obstruction such as a nail or a cotton bud.

Yeah that's what I have been looking at. I've found the pump for £18, which isn't bad and the youtube link tells you exactly what to do. So I think I will be putting on order. Everything else has been cleaned, so it's all clear but it just continues to hum when it reaches to the point of draining, is this what happened to you.

Our old machine would do the wash and just before the final spin would just stop with a machine full of water, we then had to change the program to a fast spin to get rid of some of the water, sometimes 2/3 times. It was becoming a pain, I wanted to try and fix it but the wife wanted a new one....I was out voted. TBF it had served us well for 9 years and the new one is faster and lot, lot quieter. I still reckon it was the pump as the old waste pipes were clear and the new machine works fine so the house plumbing is ok, but as I said my knowledge on this minimal at best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back