Hourly rate increase mid job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have employed a plumber to install an en suite - he has been doing a bit each month as I get paid. His daily rate is £150 but now in Feb, he has put his daily rate up to £200 - can he do this?

He is halfway through the job...

cheers

Sponsored Links
Good grief, how long does it take to do the plumbing on an en suite?

As he is on a daily rate, you can just get another plumber in to finish it off. Even then 25% increase seems way over the top.

Hi,
We have employed a plumber to install an en suite - he has been doing a bit each month as I get paid. His daily rate is £150 but now in Feb, he has put his daily rate up to £200 - can he do this?

He is halfway through the job...

cheers

He can but surely it will hit his business once word gets out. If he's given you a quote I'd expect him to stick to it. The only 'acceptable' reason for a quote to change is for change in materials costs. If he hasn't then why is he telling you his rate has gone up by 33%?

Sponsored Links
Good grief, how long does it take to do the plumbing on an en suite?

As he is on a daily rate, you can just get another plumber in to finish it off. Even then 25% increase seems way over the top.

it is converting a box room from scratch - not just the plumbing - the whole room. I am getting someone else out to have a look.

It is bloody annoying tbh - why can't people just do their jobs as promised... there is always a snag or a price hike with everything.

How did you manage to get a competent tradesmen for 150 a day.... although upping it to 200 mid job is a bit much. Although paying someone to come in every now and then when you get paid is bizarre

I went to look a job to replace a newly fitted bathroom. It was a horror story. He worked on a day rate. It cost the couple £22000. Im not having you on.

I wasn offered the job and I did not want it. I would have ended up doing it cheap out of pity.

Its a pain doing odd days on any job- you have to drag all your tools over there, have a look around & see if anything else has been done in the meantime that will cause changes to where you'd planned to put things/has compromised something you'd already finished or were partway through, try and remember what you'd done, what you hadn't done and what you were halfway through and put a temporary on to keep them running. Day rate of £200 isn't excessive especially for the nuisance factor.

Its a pain doing odd days on any job- you have to drag all your tools over there, have a look around & see if anything else has been done in the meantime that will cause changes to where you'd planned to put things/has compromised something you'd already finished or were partway through, try and remember what you'd done, what you hadn't done and what you were halfway through and put a temporary on to keep them running. Day rate of £200 isn't excessive especially for the nuisance factor.

Not at all I wouldn't work for anything less than £250.00 but would want more if I could squeeze it. But this not the point OP is making

Good point- but it may explain why the lad has increased his day rate :)

Yes you may be right, Thought this is dragging on and I need to go inward and upward. My advise to the OP is, If his work is of a good standard I would stick with him.

Otherwise the new Plumber could be shît, and what happens if theres a problem both could argue it was the others fault.

It appears it would pay him to drag the job out as he gets paid ever time he turns up.

How much have you paid him up to press and what has he actually done for the money ?

You may have a decision to make .......don't feel locked in to this situation, I can't see it ending well.

Tell him your not paying his increase.

He was a trainee when he first started but he's retiring next year and wants to build his pension pot.......

Sponsored Links
Back