House building experiences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just this week I have received planning for a 3 bedroom semi-detached house onto my existing house. My plan is to save the money to build it which will be possible and go with a main contractor after I put my detailed drawings out for quotes.

As I have never undergone this process before could someone advise when I choose a main contractor what is left for me to do? I'm probably being naive that the whole thing is taken care of and all I need to do is pick a kitchen so what would be my main concerns or input I would need to provide going forward?

Would just like to know what I am getting myself into especially in reference to the fact I will not be sourcing individual trades myself.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
My plan is to save the money to build it which will be possible and go with a main contractor after I put my detailed drawings out for quotes.

I'm not sure I understand your comment - appointing a main contractor who will then manage the build and appoint all the relevant trade is the standard way of building. Where do you expect to save money?

I'm not sure I understand your comment - appointing a main contractor who will then manage the build and appoint all the relevant trade is the standard way of building. Where do you expect to save money?

I think I typed it too quickly. I meant save up the money instead of a mortgage rather than a main contractor would save me money.

I realise the main contractor isn't the most economical but my question is around what remains for me to do on the project?

Thanks

what remains for me to do on the project?

If the drawings have been done to the full level of detail then you input will be detail - fittings & finishes.

Depending on the level of detail in your plans, you may need to be deciding where power and lighting/data fittings are going, bathroom & kitchen layout (to enable first fix for water/drainage and electrics to proceed) - a lot will depend on how good your plans are.

As an example, on our last project prior to the build starting the plans were agreed, with the client down to the point where the only decision needed was the paint colour for the walls

Sponsored Links
Thanks newboy, just the type of info I am after. I will make sure my drawings are detailed enough. So they include:

-electric layout
-power layout
-data layout
-kitchen layout
-bathroom layout
-paint colour per room

Let me know what else I should put on the plans besides this list above if anyone can think of other items.

Thanks

radiator / heating system layout.
extractor fan ducting and vents ( direction of joists )

the prevailing wind direction which way windows open

Planning the layout of furniture at this stage can reduce problems later. Consider how room size and shape might affect what furniture can be used and how it can be arranged. In a bedroom that can determine where power points for bedside cabinets have to be located.

And during the build process keep checking that the plans are being adhered to and that no "convenient for the builder" changes have slipped through as work progresses. But also be prepared to discuss and maybe permit some minor changes to ease the work of the builders.

Good stuff Bernard, added

-electric layout
-power layout
-data layout
-kitchen layout
-bathroom layout
-paint colour per room
-radiator / heating system layout.
-extractor fan ducting and vents ( direction of joists )
-the prevailing wind direction which way windows open
-potentially furniture layout

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back