House circuits and new wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just started looking at the electrics in my new home. It's late60s, early 70s and has the original (I assume) consumer unit. Only 4 cartridge style fuses. 2x5amp and 2x30amp.
The lighting circuit wiring was certainly unusual, the wires were seperate, red, black and green and taped together periodically with insulating tape. The wires were three strands of barely-twisted copper and two sleeves of insulation. After reading diy books, I was expecting ceiling roses or junction-boxes to be where the live circuit arrives and leaves, but in my place it was all done from switch-to-switch. Does anyone recognise that method?

Anyway, the big question is, given only 4 circuits in a 3 bed house. How many circuits should I plan for and, can I lay the new cable runs myself. I dont mean wire them up, just putting them in place ready to be connected by a qualified exectrician. Does anything in part prevent me doing preparitory work as long as I dont mess with the live circuits or consumer unit?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
An electrician who is going to test, certify, liven up etc would need to inspect the work at all stages of installation which might not be practical.You could, if competant, do the work yourself and get the LABC to inspect etc, but some are not set up to do it this way.
You could raise floorboards, chase walls if needed and then let a registered spark do the rest - might be less of a headache in the long run ;)

its quite normal, more so these days with spot lights and the such.

2 lighting circuits
2 ring main
1 kitchen ring
cooker circuit(s)
immersion?

The method of wiring your lighting is called feed through or in line switching and is fairly common, nothing to worry about

SB

Sponsored Links

please note forum rule 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back