No provision of a new CU and no new circuit - Minor Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. If you simply disconnected the wiring of a Consumer Unit, then simply put back the wires into very same Consumer Unit - would that be classified as minor work? I muse it could be because there is no alteration, no new provision of CU or new circuit. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to do that, and why does it matter to you if it's classed as minor work or not?

Hi. If you simply disconnected the wiring of a Consumer Unit, then simply put back the wires into very same Consumer Unit - would that be classified as minor work?
As opposed to what?

I muse it could be because there is no alteration, no new provision of CU or new circuit.
I suspect I know what you have in mind but please confirm what advantage there would be if it were classed as minor work.

I also suspect you are mistaken in your belief.

Hi. If you simply disconnected the wiring of a Consumer Unit, then simply put back the wires into very same Consumer Unit - would that be classified as minor work? I muse it could be because there is no alteration, no new provision of CU or new circuit. Thanks.
I suspect your interest is in whether it would (in England) be 'notifiable' work - and I can't see that what you describe would be (in England). Indeed, disconnecting cables from a CU and then reconnecting them is part of the legitimate testing of an electrical installation - which is something people are encouraged to do, even in relation to non-notifiable work. However, nor am I sure why anyone would want to do it (other than for testing) - are you perhaps talking about moving a CU?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi. Indeed the issue is what is notifiable work. Looking at what is written, notifiable work seems to be in cases where there is a provision of a new CU or a new circuit. It seems the regulators are really concerned about being informed about changes to electrical installations. So, if all you are doing is disconnecting a circuit in a CU, then simply reconnecting, that is perhaps not notifiable. A situation where you might want to disconnect from the CU then reconnect, is if you need to have the cables moved from one side of a joist to the other.

I'm looking at Schedule 4 of building Regulations 2010

"Descriptions of Work where no Building Notice or Deposit of Full Plans Required

1. Work consisting of-

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of-

(i) any new fixed cabling, or

(ii) a consumer unit;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;"

Note the words used -"replacing" "provision" "new".

Hi. Indeed the issue is what is notifiable work. Looking at what is written, notifiable work seems to be in cases where there is a provision of a new CU or a new circuit. It seems the regulators are really concerned about being informed about changes to electrical installations. So, if all you are doing is disconnecting a circuit in a CU, then simply reconnecting, that is perhaps not notifiable. A situation where you might want to disconnect from the CU then reconnect, is if you need to have the cables moved from one side of a joist to the other.
As I said, with the law as she is worded, I can't see how that would be notifiable in terms of 'the letter of the law' (in England - Wales is a different matter). The law is so badly written that, strictly speaking, even installing a new CU (where there was not one before) is not notifiable (only 'replacement of a CU' is notifiable!) - although you would probably get caught by (notifiable) 'new circuits' if you installed a brand new CU. However, if one wants to think about the spirit/intent of the law, one imagines that the thought was probably that 'fiddling around inside a CU' is potentially dangerous, and therefore should be notifiable - but that's not what the 'letter of the law' says. ... so go figure :)

Kind Regards, John

I'm looking at Schedule 4 of building Regulations 2010 ... "Descriptions of Work where no Building Notice or Deposit of Full Plans Required
You are way out of date. Everything changed (with the result that much less was notifiable - in England, but not Wales) in April 2013. There is now a (very short) list of what IS notifiable, rather than the 2010 list of what was NOT notifiable. Look at this Forum's wiki for up-to-date information.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the actual letter of the law that I've posted, seams to make it possible for someone to reasonably conclude merely disconnecting and reconnecting is not notifiable.

Would the work be notifiable arising from the issue of testing?
Any/all electrical work requires adequate testing to confirm that it is compliant with the law (Part P of the Building Regs) but that is equally true of notifiable and non-notifiable work, and does not affect whether work is notifiable or not.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the actual letter of the law that I've posted, seams to make it possible for someone to reasonably conclude merely disconnecting and reconnecting is not notifiable.
As I've just said, you have posted obsolete law, but, as I've said, I think the same remains true under current law.

Kind Regards, John

The wording now (for whatever reason) requires, among other things, notification of/for "the replacement of a consumer unit".

So, I presume it would depend on the dictionary that is used.

Given the large number of questions on this site from people who removed a light switch and then were unable to reconnect it properly, removing all of the wires from a consumer unit and 'simply' reconnecting them is something that should not be attempted by DIYers, regardless of whether it is notifiable or not.

Given the large number of questions on this site from people who removed a light switch and then were unable to reconnect it properly, removing all of the wires from a consumer unit and 'simply' reconnecting them is something that should not be attempted by DIYers, regardless of whether it is notifiable or not.
Indeed - most 'DIYers', anyway :). As I said:
However, if one wants to think about the spirit/intent of the law, one imagines that the thought was probably that 'fiddling around inside a CU' is potentially dangerous, and therefore should be notifiable ...

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back