consumer unit certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
opinions wanted, when installing a consumer unit would you complete a E.I.Certificate or a Minor Works. A couple of years ago i went on a course that suggested E.I.C but if you look at the onsite guide it says if no new circuits have been created then it's a Minor Works. ???

Sponsored Links
Changing a consumer unit is the equivalent of a heart & lung transplant for your house.
The characteristics of all of the circuits may have been changed so it is a full Installation Certificate. You'll probably have changed the basis at the supply end when you upgraded the bonding too.

Much of the work will already have been done as you will have already measured Insulation Resistance, R1+R2 etc for each and every circuit when you did the Periodic Installation Report - before the board change was done.

You should complete an EIC since you will be registering it with the LABC either directly or indirectly through your scheme provider.
My Minor Works Certificates only have space for one circuit check - you will of course be conducting all the necessary tests on each circuit.

Agreed with TTC - although depending on the outcomes of the thorough tests I would save on paperwork and just note down the results and rather than putting them on a 'pass' Pir, put them on the EIC if all is well.

Sponsored Links
Even if you went through building controls, a EIC would still be needed, accompanied by schedules of inspection and tests.
As mentioned in previous posts a PIR should be done prior to the change and if all is well with the PIR and there is no earth leakage present or very, very little. You should be okay for the change.
When completing an EIC the changing of a consumer unit is consider as an "alteration to an existing installation" so that box should be checked under "Descriptions and Extent of the Installation Work"

Even if you went through building controls, a EIC would still be needed, accompanied by schedules of inspection and tests.
As mentioned in previous posts a PIR should be done prior to the change and if all is well with the PIR and there is no earth leakage present or very, very little. You should be okay for the change.
When completing an EIC the changing of a consumer unit is consider as an "alteration to an existing installation" so that box should be checked under "Descriptions and Extent of the Installation Work"

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back