House extension - complete process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wanting an extension built onto the rear of my house so as to increase my kitchen. What is the process for getting this done; i.e do I get planning permission, building permission sorted out first? where does the design part come into it and how do I go about choosing a builder to carry out the work etc. ?

Totally confused. any help much appreciated.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
you first need a designer/architect to do you a basic outline plan which can be submitted to l.a. for planning approval.

once obtained you then need a full reg's drawing, from which recommended local builders can give you quotes. building control may want a squint before you go ahead. make sure the architect provides calc's for any necessary items such as structural steel.

pay the l.a. their inspection fees, admin fees etc. then go ahead and get started.

a good builder will run the job from start to finish, getting all the trades involved when necessary. he will phone b.c. whenever a visit is needed, up here in staffs a same day visit can be arranged in the morning.

the more accurate a drawing is the more accurate a quote can be. less ambiguity means less of the dreaded 'extras'.

For a single storey extension, you should not need planning permission as it may well be 'permitted development' (Google)

You will need building regulation approval. You can get this two ways - either get some plans drawn up and approved, or do it under a 'building notice' where by the builder just builds and the council checks it as it goes up.

A building notice is more risk for you as it relies on the builder knowing his stuff, and keeping to the agreed quotation. So you will probably get some plans drawn.

First get a designer around. They will tell you if you need planning permission, if you do he should draw up a plan - both to your requirements and to local planning policy. He should give you a draft desing, for approval or amendment prior to submission

The designer will be able to give you an estimate (within £5k) of build costs. Or he should design to your budget

The desinger should advise you on external features and internal layout. You tell him what you want and he should incorporate it as much as possible. Have a think about how you may want to use the room, and ask the designer for his advice on what would be good or bad

There should be no problem with getting PP for a kitchen extension (the designer should get pre-application advice if required) although nothing is 100% certain. So you can instruct the designer to prepare and submit the building control drawings so that both approvals come back at the same time and you can start.

A builder will only quote on building control drawings as these have more detail. So as soon as you have these, you can get your quotes.

Use a basic contract with the builder, so you (and the builder) know where you stand on key things like payment, scope, and timescales.

Bear in mind that things may change as the work proceeds, or the building control officer wants things done differently, so expect some price changes if the builder has not quoted for this element of work.

If you need a hand or any info in the process drop us a line,(email) I'm near Romford, I suppose its like spam but we (as in my company) do extensions from planing/design to completion, can give you a quote for the complete package., i.e plans draw up, submitted, liaison with the council, sourcing materials etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. I've got a designer (works for the council)coming round Saturday morning. He'll be doing a ground floor survey (£150) to basically say if I can get an extension built. If ok, he'll be doing plans for us later (£150) Does this sound right?
Another query; he said that if we get the go ahead it will cost £490 for the building inspectors to visit the site whilst work is in progress; just to make sure the builder that I employ is doing everything 'by the book'. Is this correct?

:confused:

Does this designer work for the council planning department? if so there could well be conflict of intrests. It sound s to me that this is a moonlight job. Is the scenario that he or a collegue does the plans then passes them. It could be that it all goes pete tong and you could end up with an illegal development.
As a ball park park figure a planning application from a legit architectural designer should cost about £300-350 for a detached house including an `as-built' survey, the same again for Bregs (if required), total about £700. Remember the LA fees, £135 for planning application, £25 for ord.surv. location plan, £400-500 for Bregs, plus any others like water board- they can charge up to £200 to inspect and test any drainage connections. There is also the copies of drawings for the LA, 2 drawings at A1 size will require at least 5 copies each, £4 per copy total £40.

claudeballs said:
I've got a designer (works for the council)coming round Saturday morning. He'll be doing a ground floor survey (£150) to basically say if I can get an extension built. If ok, he'll be doing plans for us later (£150) Does this sound right?

He is scamming you.

You should not pay for someone to visit to say if you can have an extension or not. I know some charge a 'call out fee' equivalent to 1 hours time, but most do not.

A charge of £300 for the plans would be about right (this will include the site measure), but in charging you for the visit and the drawing, he is on to a winner.

He should know if planning permission is possible, or even needed, just by looking at it, no need to measure. So he is effectively charging you £150 for this.

Make sure you know what you are paying for - is he charging for planning permission drawings, building regulation drawings or both?

Willa said:
Does this designer work for the council planning department? if so there could well be conflict of intrests. It sound s to me that this is a moonlight job. Is the scenario that he or a collegue does the plans then passes them. It could be that it all goes pete tong and you could end up with an illegal development.

It would be a contractural issue in terms of the contract of employment, which would prevent an employee doing this work. Nothing else.

If the employee does the drawings, that is not unlawfull. Nor would it make it an unlawful development if those drawings are subsequently approved. It would only be unlawful if the plans are passed without going through the normal approval process.

Thanks for your replies. My wife spoke to the council today and they said that they couldn't/wouldn't tell me over the phone if planning permission is required or not.
Also spoke to this bloke who said he'd come and do a visit. Told him not to bother visiting and that he should send a letter to us stating what he will be doing and the relevant charges therein. When I receive the letter from him I'll post the details on here and then hopefully you lads can advise me accordingly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back