House extension quote seems exessive

Sponsored Links
I would have thought between £25k/£30k, if you go for a flat roof then make no mistake, fibreglass will outperform most other materials no problem, also beware of builders that quote £5k less than the others to get the job then start adding "extras" get everthing written down, not forgetting how much and when "stage payments", any fittings get yourself as the builder will get the cheapest available.

Also you did not respond as to your line of work, don't be bashful :eek:

Noseall......ahhhh the good old days huh ? Your post brought a tear to my eye. I wonder where my pure wool tye is.

Much better these days when a group of shirtless herberts in shorts and trainers turn up on job giving it large. Mind numbing repititive tunes blasting out of a Makita radio and everyone having to shout the toss off just to be heard. And the customer having to pay for the privilige.......ha.

Ahhh ....progress pffffff.

Sponsored Links
i was in the building trade for 3 years did my ND in building work before i changed profession in to IT

ive recently built a 4 x 3 porch was quoted 7k managed to do it myself for 3k so ive got the know how to butter a brick and whats involved

i can do the internals plastering skirting 1st fix and 2nd fix prob just dot and dab the walls as it far quicker.

was just looking at the walls and roof i can install the windows myself.

hence the reason i thought price was steep i will be getting more quotes prob just contract the work out to individual trademan this is prob the best way to manage this kind of project but like all building projects you have a quantity surveyor to get an accurate cost thats why i was bieng a bit methodical.

i understand the point of liability insurance but trademans should have their own liability insurance if they are genuine.

as for scaffolding ive got the scaffolding of my own that will just need errecting i can get that done myself when needed.

as for the mortar im highly dubious that mortar will inflate the price too extreame.

but thanks for all your input il digest the info.

If all the op wants is a shell and he is going to do the windows, floors, electrics, plumbing all himself then it may be an excessive quote.

I'm in London and I would expect to pay no more than about £45-£50k for the fully completed project including all materials except my sanitary ware and tiles. This would be from a competent and reliable builder.

So £34k for a shell in Lancashire does seem to be quite high

i was in the building trade for 3 years did my ND in building work before i changed profession in to IT

ive recently built a 4 x 3 porch was quoted 7k managed to do it myself for 3k so ive got the know how to butter a brick and whats involved

i can do the internals plastering skirting 1st fix and 2nd fix prob just dot and dab the walls as it far quicker.

hence the reason i thought price was steep i will be getting more quotes prob just contract the work out to individual trademan this is prob the best way to manage this kind of project but like all building projects you have a quantity surveyor to get an accurate cost thats why i was bieng a bit methodical.

i understand the point of liability insurance but trademans should have their own liability insurance if they are genuine.

as for scaffolding ive got the scaffolding of my own that will just need errecting i can get that done myself when needed.

as for the mortar im highly dubious that mortar will inflate the price too extreame.

Good for you bud-- that told everyone.
Just out of interest-- how long did it take you to build the porch ?.
Any chance of seeing any pics of it ?.
Regards,
Pete

took about 3 weeks

dug footings concreted, dpm, screeded floor and brick and block dwarf wall with upvc il get some pics uploaded this week

It never ceases to amaze me that some soft hands office bod making £50k per year wafting his mouse around, begrudges a hard grafting builder a modest income.

I think it's the word modest that the OP is questioning. He doesn't appear to begrudge anyone a living, just wants to be sure he's not being ripped -off.

By the way, I'm in Lancashire too, don't go for a flat roof !! ;) ;)

In an ideal world tradesmen would be waring bib-'n'-brace overalls with a wooly tie and polished shoes, be charging tuppence ha'penny an hour, be restricted to using the back entrance of the house (careful!), be looking at his shuffling feet whilst being addressed by the master of the house etc etc.

It never ceases to amaze me that some soft hands office bod making £50k per year wafting his mouse around, begrudges a hard grafting builder a modest income.

You won't get a better paint job than you do from and old fella in bib and brace overalls and paint brushes with at least half the bristles worn away. Unfortunately a dying breed.

Kcuf me your handy!! Do you want a job!! Why dont you just do it all yourself! If your getting a quantity surveyor why are you even asking us! Im sure he can work out the complete price for you! Or are you trying to save another few hundred quid!?

:confused:

whambham";p="2486116 said:

Kcuf me your handy!! Do you want a job!! Why dont you just do it all yourself! If your getting a quantity surveyor why are you even asking us! Im sure he can work out the complete price for you! Or are you trying to save another few hundred quid!?

i

And youve got your own scaffolding!!! Good luck with that, wots its made from bamboo!? Wouldnt touch your job with a barge pole! Or a scaffold pole!
It will end up blowing over in the wind!
3 weeks for a porch, at that rate your looking at about a year to complete!!
Suppose your gonna do all the sparks youself aswell, why not change the boiler as well!

handyman77";p="2491420 said:

i

And youve got your own scaffolding!!! Good luck with that, wots its made from bamboo!? Wouldnt touch your job with a barge pole! Or a scaffold pole!
It will end up blowing over in the wind!
3 weeks for a porch, at that rate your looking at about a year to complete!!
Suppose your gonna do all the sparks youself aswell, why not change the boiler as well!

I really don't understand the reaction of some people on this forum sometimes. This is a diy forum isn't it? Given the clue is in the title why do you get so annoyed when somebody wants advice on exactly that subject ie how to do it yourself??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back