House Layout Changed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

During the course of our renovations, the sparky had to cut wires to make room for a new staircase.

One of the cables (T&E) connected to a MCB on the CU is now available to be moved elsewhere, I have conncted a 2 gang socket to this. My first question is can I extend a radial from this socket to another 2 gang socket. or would it effectively be a spur?

The smoke alarm has been removed, I would like to reconnect to mains. Would this need to be attached to the lighting ring?

Finally(!) We have a fixed thermostat for a CH how is this normally connceted? How simple is it to replace with a wireless one?

Any help advice always appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Why don't you ask the 'sparky' to reconnect everything he has disconnected - especially the smoke alarm which needs doing if you are still living there !

A very valid comment :D However, this would be charged for... :unsure:

Sponsored Links
How did this ' sparky' leave the cables exactly ? From your original post you said he cut them. Any decent electrician would have left the wiring in a usable state and not just left cables 'cut'. And certainly not left you without a smoke alarm.

Thanks for replies

The work was completed whilst we were on holiday. The builder had to get an electrician in to cut wires in order to cut joists and install staircase.

We returned with staircase in and the wires that needed moving coiled with insulating tape at the ends. The electrician called on Monday to ask when he needed to come in to make good, by this time I had already done what I mention in OP... The wire that I have connected a 2 gang socket to was originally supplying 2 x 2 gang sockets if that helps?

Thereare still 2 cables in place which I (think) one is for smoke alarm?

The work should have been finished, or left in a safe, usable condition, before you came back.

How do you know you have connected the cables as they should be?

What have you used to connect the cables?

He should check your work.

You want to add sockets. You should be aware if your sockets are in the form of a ring circuit, you must also establish if the socket cable is part of the ring, or a spur - possibly spurred at the consumer unit.

Any earth cables; if so how have you joined them?

Why sacrifice your wired thermostat? If you had it before, you should have it again.

Why have you meddled with this job? Getting temporary power is one thing, not letting your electrician finish is another.

Get the electrician back to complete the job.

Hi really appreciate the replies however, I think a lot has been lost from OP? I will try and answer below :confused:

The work should have been finished, or left in a safe, usable condition, before you came back

Cables where coiled and taped & all electrics working apart from removed socket and one light.

How do you know you have connected the cables as they should be
I haven't reconnected cables.

What have you used to connect the cables?
As above

He should check your work
Once all electrical work has been done we will get tested and signed off as per regs..

You want to add sockets. You should be aware if your sockets are in the form of a ring circuit, you must also establish if the socket cable is part of the ring, or a spur - possibly spurred at the consumer unit
As per OP I haven't added any sockets I just attached a 2 gang to where was originally a 2 x 2 gang radial which I guess would mean its now a spurred socket from CU

Any earth cables; if so how have you joined them?
All earth cables remain as they were?

Why sacrifice your wired thermostat? If you had it before, you should have it again
Its still as it was I just wanted to know if I could (at some stage) replace with a w/l one?

Why have you meddled with this job? Getting temporary power is one thing, not letting your electrician finish is another.
I simply 'tidied' up cables over the weekend that seemed to be no longer necessary as they are now redundant with new layout?

Get the electrician back to complete the job
Ok if you think thats the best ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back