House painting: Wethertex exterior resin coating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the early stages of looking into repainting our house, I've come across some strongly mixed views on long-life products and in particular Wethertex.

You can see online some very vitriolic comments on type companies claiming they are "big advertising driven companies" who "subcontract work to local illegal workers" and basically claim it's a scam. Traditional painting companies tell you to be wary that they "won't tell you what products they use" but on the other hand there are also lots of good reviews. On various forums I've seen people slag them off, but others saying they have had it done and it is good.

There's only a handful of threads on Wethertex I can see on this site, mostly very old. So what's the real story? The company I came across online is very clear the product they use and say they're a small family business who never subcontract. The premise sounds reasonable - we use this sort of thing on garage floors for instance.

I'm wondering if there have been a whole slew of companies touting the "***" slogan which makes it hard to separate the good and bad. Or even if there's a bit of traditional painters wanting to stamp on competing products ;)

Anyone actually had this done or know first hand about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Ohh, blast from the past-

I remember coming across *** years ago. I got in to a barney with the owner online because, as a decorator, I believed that he was not (in my opinion) being completely honest- (note to mods- I believe my comment is covered by Fair Comment/ Honest Comment)

Admittedly- that was about 10(?) years ago.

Just be advised that there are loads of firms that flog the silicone type paints. I don't have first hand experience of working with those kind of products. I would not want to recommend an expensive paint that cannot be painted over if the customer changes their mind about the colour later down the line. I cannot comment on the longevity of them.

Thanks for that. Forums can be a law into themselves what they choose to allow! But your post seems quite reasonable to me.

I THINK the chap I spoke to was Yorkshire based which is part of the confusion. I seem to recall someone working for such a company was on this forum in an old thread and made reasonable points in response.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Had a weathertex salesman knock on my door years ago -- 1986 ish . They did a good job , I remember him asking me not to reveal the cost to a nearby neighbour as we had a "discount " . load of rubbish . Because it was classed as home improvement we got tax relief on the loan from the bank . Looking back we should not have bothered .

Sponsored Links
As a "potential" customer, do you mind if I ask why you seem intent on using that product rather than one of the other similar products?

And which product in particular are you looking at. I get the impression that Wethertex sell both paints and K-rend type products.

Honestly, as a decorator, if I were able to say "buy this, and I won't be back for 20 years", I would be happy. I have read blurb in the past that suggested that us decorators are only interested in using products that ensure that we will get called back in a few years. Personally, I want to treat others as I hope to be treated. I would never want to work for those kind of companies.

I

As a "potential" customer, do you mind if I ask why you seem intent on using that product rather than one of the other similar products?
purely because I found them when searching for general house painting info.
I would be very happy to hear any thoughts on similar products or indeed dissimilar... I briefly looked into doing itself with regular masonry paint and it became very clear it'd be losing me weeks or months of my life! Large old house not been done for some time, lots of prep/remedial work (I gather this is actually the bulk of the work). I definitely need a decent reputable company whoever that is and it's hard to find, not had success locally so far

Sorry MisterBoy, I hadn't intended to grill you.

It just strikes me as being an area full of charlatans. The products may be as good as the various manufacturers claim but the misinformation peddled by those that resell them sets alarm bells ringing. By way of an example, on Amazon, someone asks if one of the silicone based products can be over painted. The sales patter for the product suggests that nothing will stick to it (ie dirt). The reseller says that, yes they can be over painted. I do not understand how a product that repels "stuff" can be repainted with ease.

I would expect a decent quality masonry paint to last for between 10-15 years before requiring repainting. They claim 20 years. Given the cost differential, I am not sold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back