House Renovation: Oil or LPG ? (heating options)

Whats a better option? (generic I know, please kindly explain your choice)

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Everyone,

Bloody cold today and a good time to consider what heating option to go for! I've (stupidly?) taken on the lifelong task of renovating a large victorian home with no central heating. I've looked into Biomass/GSHP/ASHP which all offer RHI payments woooo :whistle:. However upfront costs are enormous (£17,000 for biomass system at 35kw installed)! I'd consider LPG Gas or Heating Oil.

Please feel free to tell me your preference and let me know if you have any advice with pros/cons, I'm struggling to find honest opinions on the better option except that oils cheaper per Kw.

Thanks Guys.

Sponsored Links
On cost alone I'd go for oil every time.It's far cheaper than LPG and you get more heat,properly
set up you would do very well I'd have a heat only with megaflow cylinder and wet solar panels
for hot water when the weather was good.

On cost alone I'd go for oil every time.It's far cheaper than LPG and you get more heat,properly
set up you would do very well I'd have a heat only with megaflow cylinder and wet solar panels
for hot water when the weather was good.

Thank You! I'm sorry, I'm only familiar with gas combi boilers. So just get a "system oil boiler", What is a megaflow cylinder? Thanks.

A Megaflow is an invented cylinder which keeps your hot water at the same pressure as your cold.
These come in various sizes and if needed can be paired up to give more hot water storage,if you get the double coiled cylinder the bottom coil will be for solar panels,which in summer will give you virtually free hot water.If your house is very big with too many bathrooms a oil combi boiler won't be able to provide enough hot water.so the answer is system boiler and megaflow.

Sponsored Links
Oil, because you buy the tank yourself and can then buy oil from whoever you want at a time when the price is acceptable.

The deal with LPG is usually that you get the tank 'free' and are then tied to that particular supplier for years/ever. They may well have a reasonable price for the gas initially, but when it's time to refill the price goes sky high and there is nothing you can do about it.

Oil, because you buy the tank yourself and can then buy oil from whoever you want at a time when the price is acceptable.

The deal with LPG is usually that you get the tank 'free' and are then tied to that particular supplier for years/ever. They may well have a reasonable price for the gas initially, but when it's time to refill the price goes sky high and there is nothing you can do about it.

LPG contracts now 2 years with right to switch and new supplier takes over the existing tank.
Still expensive but better deals out there than years ago.

Thank guys! Oils looking like the only valid option. Has anyone got biomass/recommend it?

Oil is much more expensive than LPG to install, but may be cheaper to run in the long term. LPG is theft proof, and they'll bury a tank in your garden if you want it out of sight. Pro's and cons to both

My recently negotiated 2 year deal with Calor is 29p per litre fixed for 1 year, then 32p per litre for the second year, plus 17.28p per day standing charge. To all prices add VAT. But they did give me a oneoff £250 cash back.
After the 2 years I can look around again.
Switching is not as easy as town gas but there are dedicated 'switchers' who will get the best deal they can.

Personally, I would enquire to Calor and Flogas and find out what a new install would be.

Don't know how a litre of gas compares to a litre of oil.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back