House rewire regs

S

snadge

My dad (in Scotland) had a full house rewire on an old build a couple of years back (£2500 qoute)... now he asked the sparky if he could have the new EEC colours of brown/blue etc and the sparky replied "well all ive got is red+black so thats what yer getting" - is this breaking the law due to the new laws requiring new wires to be installed? does this affect his house insurance at all?

many thanks in advance for replies

Sponsored Links
Has he had the work done or just the quote ?

Exactly how long ago did the work occur if at all ?

Has he had the work done or just the quote ?

Exactly how long ago did the work occur if at all ?

the works was done a few years back , i will have to ask but defo after march 2006

he was qouted £2500 but never got the final qoute faxed through to sign, the sparkys turned up and done the job, then months went by and heard nothing about the bill then one day one of his sparkys turned up and only charged him £1600 saying "its his fault (the boss/owner) for not posting the final qoute to you, how does £1600 sound?" - which I also founf suspicious but this was all ages ago,

this was app. a big company up where he lives,,, fully qualified, a sparky with 30 sparkys working for him

There's nothing illegal in installing black and red cables, just does not comply to BS7671:2008.
As I understand it, that does not make it against the law.

Sponsored Links
the reason I ask is when I opened the instructions for my recessed ceiling lights it mentioned in there that all wiring after march 31at 2006 that only the new colours were permitted

That's just stupid, so you buy a new set of light fittings and because the installation instruction say only new colour cores permitted, you think there is something wrong with the wiring :confused:
I would take it back and not use the manufacturer, they are talking out of their backside!

That's just stupid, so you buy a new set of light fittings and because the installation instruction say only new colour cores permitted, you think there is something wrong with the wiring :confused:
I would take it back and not use the manufacturer, they are talking out of their backside!

no, it got me thinking about my dads re-wire - see my link and post above, it says all new builds are now rewired using new EEC Brown/Blue wiring and I was wondering if the electrician was wrong to install red/black which sounds like he was

does the installation have mixed colour cores, ie. does it have not only the red/black cables but also the brown/blue cables installed?

does the installation have mixed colour cores, ie. does it have not only the red/black cables but also the brown/blue cables installed?

I dunno, I assume cos it was a FULL HOUSE REWIRE that all old cables are removed and new ones installed - at least thats what I would expect as its a full re-wire that costs £2500 for a 2up2down - so if its ALL new wiring it should be blue/brown eec as per regulations...yes? no?

cheers

I would say if the installation was made in 2006 that ideally should have been wired using brown/blue, but because they are red/black, that does not mean the installation is illegal. It does deviate from the current requirements, but it can be easily rectified by correct marking up of the existing cables.
BS7671 is not a legal document.

I would say if the installation was made in 2006 that ideally should have been wired using brown/blue, but because they are red/black, that does not mean the installation is illegal. It does deviate from the current requirements, but it can be easily rectified by correct marking up of the existing cables.
BS7671 is not a legal document.

it was def. after 2006 - so its not been done to regulations - which is usually illegal isnt it? - dunno, gunna have to get more info on it cos he's worried that it might affect his house insurance...

thanks anyway

it was def. after 2006 - so its not been done to regulations - which is usually illegal isnt it? -
No it is not, but I will say the requirements in Scotland are different to that of England and Wales, what does it say on the certificates issued?

It could be notified as a departure on the cert that old red and black was used. It's a bit odd but in itself it wouldn't be unsafe. I'd be more concerned that you didn't (I assume) receive an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the job?

NB an EIC is a 3+ page document including a schedule of inspections and test results

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back