House rewire - use wireless lights?

It's been an interesting discussion, not the least because of the differing views expressed.
Hi John,

Yes, I think the principle of CPD (aka "keeping abreast of new developments") is non contentious. However, where I think we differ is in whether a product like MK Echo, one that has been in the catalogue of one of the major suppliers of switch plates &C for around a decade, is something your average active domestic electrician should have heard of. To me, they should. Whether it is in common use is not the right measure. CPD - and being knowledgeable about how a field is evolving - is not about being reactive to what your customers are asking for. It's about proactively understanding what is possible. In this case, the proactivity required is minimal. Open the MK catalogue and there the product is. I would demand no more than, given it has been in the catalogue of a major supplier in this area for about a decade, that your average active domestic electrician would at least have lodged in their brains that it exists. I am, again, not requesting in depth expertise of how it works, a GCSE in actually having used it 100 times, or anything else. Just a basic knowledge that the product exists and enough to know what sort of scenarios might warrant further investigation.

In my line of work Cisco is a major supplier. We don't use them - not ideological, my employer ran an RFP and they lost. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that I occasionally dip into the Cisco product catalogue, join Webex conferences, ... to make sure I am competently aware of the products they have (and the 'spin' they're applying to the market).

You are right that my objection has crossed wireless switching in general and MK Echo in particular.

My general objection arises from the electricians who came round to quote for our rewire. I found some who knew about the potential for wireless switching, but an alarming number who really didn't, thought it was magic and were so averse to finding out they spent time trying to convince me that they could either drill up behind two feet of Lincrusta to run the cables or that they could fix it afterwards with Polyfilla.

My specific objection stands for the reasons given above.

Anyway, long thread and I sense we've all now stated our positions so it's time to say thanks for the responses and to wander off for a nice cup of tea.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I think the principle of CPD (aka "keeping abreast of new developments") is non contentious. However, where I think we differ is in whether a product like MK Echo, one that has been in the catalogue of one of the major suppliers of switch plates &C for around a decade, is something your average active domestic electrician should have heard of. To me, they should. Whether it is in common use is not the right measure.
Maybe. As I've said, there has to be 'a line' and people will differ in their opinion as to where the line should be drawn.

In my fields of professional endeavour, albeit far removed from anything electrical, I'm sure that, despite CPD, there have been plenty of 'developments'/'advances' in the last decade or more of which I am unaware, because I have never had a 'need to know' about them, and because they have not yet been commonly invoked - but which I would 'seek out' if the occasions arose (or, as winston did, ask about them if they were mentioned). Whether or not my clients regard me as 'unprofessional' because of that, I couldn't tell you - but none have (so far) expressed that view!

My general objection arises from the electricians who came round to quote for our rewire. I found some who knew about the potential for wireless switching, but an alarming number who really didn't, thought it was magic and were so averse to finding out they spent time trying to convince me that they could either drill up behind two feet of Lincrusta to run the cables or that they could fix it afterwards with Polyfilla.
As I've said more than once, that does "go beyond my line", and if you had been talking about practising electricians who thought that wireless light switching, per se, was a 'magic' of which they knew nothing, then I would have been wholeheartedly agreeing with your viewpoint from the very start.

Anyway, long thread and I sense we've all now stated our positions ...
Indeed - but, as I said, I'd still be interested to hear from some practising electricians (so far, I don't think there have been any), not the least in order to get a feel of how many of them actually know about (or even have used) MK Echo, or anything else using 'kinetic switch' technology (other than their gas lighters, or my ancient boiler's ignition system!).

Kind Regards, John

I would just like to say that the criticism of Winston, for not knowing one product, stated that electricians should know about and understand ALL products.

That is what caused me to reply.
It was then rebuked with a silly example of "Did we understand the inner workings of consumer units?".

I still maintain that it is impossible to know about ALL products that may be connected to the fixed wiring.

Though, perhaps electricians who do hospital installations do.

I still maintain that it is impossible to know about ALL products that may be connected to the fixed wiring.
Of course. Indeed, in any field it is impossible for a person to know about everything there is to know about. As far as I can see, the only scope for discussion relates to what things a practitioner (again, in any field) might reasonably be expected to know about.
Interesting statement. What is special about electricians who do hospital installations?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would just like to say that the criticism of Winston, for not knowing one product, stated that electricians should know about and understand ALL products.

That is what caused me to reply.
It was then rebuked with a silly example of "Did we understand the inner workings of consumer units?".

You can rest easy. No-one on this thread has criticised Winston and neither has anyone on this thread stated that electricians should know about and understand ALL products. With all due respect and with no intent to cause offence, I suggest re-reading the thread will help to confirm that.

Anyway, I am now genuinely "over and out".

Thanks

JC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back