Stranded lighting cable in house - does it NEED rewiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I'm working at a house rewiring the downstairs sockets (black rubber) - the ceilings are now in and the walls are ready to patch over and then I can put the sockets on.

I noticed today that all the downstairs lighting is wired in stranded cable. The cable has earths and are actually sleeved with G/Y which makes a change.

Is it compulsory in 17th to rewire the lights even if they test out ok?

If so it's going to be a right ballache.

Sponsored Links
If you have inspected and tested them, and the results are as they should be. That's okay.
Just because it doesn't comply to 17th editions does not make it unsafe.

Just out of curiosity, if all tested ok then what made you assume or think the circuit would need rewiring?

I noticed today that all the downstairs lighting is wired in stranded cable. The cable has earths and are actually sleeved with G/Y which makes a change.
If it's PVC cable then it should be OK to leave it.

If it's also VIR then it is not OK to leave it.

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, if all tested ok then what made you assume or think the circuit would need rewiring?

Because when we were rewiring council houses at my old company, as a general rule we would rip out stranded or rubber cables regardless of whether or not they meggered ok.

"Just because it doesn't comply to 17th editions does not make it unsafe."

Doesn't it have to comply to 17th editions to get signed off though?

If it does not comply to BS7671:2008 but is safe and fit for purpose, it will go down as a departure from the 17th eds on the report form.

What will?

Something which he didn't install, i.e. something which was not within the scope of the work he's certifying?

I'm not certifying anything - he wanted his sockets rewired because of the rubber and he says that after he gets a full test done he wants me to handle the work that needs doing to sign it off. Now it's all been boarded though it would've been a right slag to rewire the lights.

And yes, he should've had the test done before boarding but he's one of those customers who, because theyve got a lot of money, would rather do the opposite of what you say just to do it his way, otherwise he doesn't feel in control. Nice enough bloke though, bacon butty every day.

Didn't think that was neccessary if a test was about to be done. Also, they won't even be connected into any socket faces or the fuseboard until after the test, so if they come along and test that the cables are ok before they're even connected then why is that an issue?

Sorry - I didn't realise you'd only done the first-fix, I thought you had finished rewiring the sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back