stranded cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when was stranded cable last used? I found some connected into a junction box on the kitchen ring. The cable isn't actually terminated, it just goes straight through with some of the insulation stripped off, so maintaining the ring. This also means earth sleeving hasn't been used, since there was nowhere to slide it on. As far as i know, this was the only cable that wasn't touched 10 years ago when the house was rewired. I dont know why, since it runs under the bathroom and a bedroom, where most of the floorboards have been lifted before anyway!

I connected a 2.5mm spur to this junction box in the new cable colours (and earth sleeving). Do i have to put a sticker on the fuse box, or can it wait until we get a spark in to replace the fuse box (within a year)?

Sponsored Links
Harmonization sticker? It could be argued that a sticker should be installed at the CU for compliance with 514-14-01.

In my personal experience, stranded for cable sizes below 4.00mm² was last used in houses pre 1971, but don't take this as gospel.

Of course, stranded cable is still used for 4.00mm² and above today.

I still saw reels of Seven Stranded 2.5.sq.mm. single cable in Red insulation still on sale in Newey and Eyre's bargain bin last week,

Sponsored Links
T&E stranded cable was last complient in the Late 70's according to some older Sparks I know..I asked them :D

A lot will depend on the type of insulation as to how old the cable actually is.

kai

Yes, conduit singles are stranded.

But it was f'in obvious I was talking about T & E, wasn't it??

:oops: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back