Butt connector sizes for 2.5mm ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to crimp some 2.5mm twin & earth cable together but I'm not sure what size connectors I need to use and what colour I'll need to use in the ratchet crimping tool ??

Also, one cable is stranded and the other is solid, is this a problem ?

The other cables I'm crimping are all solid.

Another issue yet also linked. The stranded cable I'm connecting to doesn't have an earth, it's just live & neutral stranded wire. I'm connecting the two cables to change a radial circuit to a ring and that stranded cable is already in place at the fuse board so I'd like to use it instead of running a new cable through. So the existing radial circuit is earthed but the new leg that will make it a ring is not earthed.

Is it OK to just have the earth on one side of the circuit ? The stranded cable isn't connecting to anything on it's way back to the fuse board, all the sockets are on twin & earth cable which is obviously earthed at the fuse board.

Sponsored Links
Blue for 2.5 mm2.

If there was an earth present, usually it's 1.5 mm2 which use red crimps.

Seems poor practice for the earth not to be a ring like the rest of the ring circuit.

How easy is it to replace the two core cable for two core+earth?

Sponsored Links
Blue for 2.5 mm2.

Seems poor practice for the earth not to be a ring like the rest of the ring circuit.

It would be easy to replace the two core but there's nothing going on the two core cable at all, it's crimped at one end and terminated at the fuse board at the other.

Blue for 2.5 mm2.

It would be easy to replace the two core but there's nothing going on the two core cable at all, it's crimped at one end and terminated at the fuse board at the other.

I thought you said this two core would be used to convert a radial into a ring.

If that's the case, replace the two core for two core+earth - since it's easy to do.

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Blue for 2.5 mm2.

I thought you said this two core would be used to convert a radial into a ring.

If that's the case, replace the two core for two core+earth - since it's easy to do.

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

It will be used to convert the radial to a ring but every socket and appliance is connected with twin core and earth cable, so everything is earthed but only down one side of the ring circuit. The two core cable is nothing more than a route back to the fuse board.

Picture a radial circuit that terminates into a JB at the end of the circuit, I'm removing the JB and crimping a two core cable to the existing two core and earth cable radial circuit that supplies all the sockets. The two core cable then goes back to the fuse board to create a ring circuit.

I don't think you've misunderstood. Maybe I'm not wording it very well.

You can NOT use that old bit of 2 core. You need to replace it with proper twin and earth cable.

Anything else is just a dangerous lash up.

But a ring final consists of three conductors. Line, neutral and earth.

Your description leaves out the earth returning to the consumer unit.

How are you going to carry out R1+R2 tests on a ring if you do not have a continuous R2?

Or have I (also) misunderstood?

But a ring final consists of three conductors. Line, neutral and earth.

Your description leaves out the earth returning to the consumer unit.

How are you going to carry out R1+R2 tests on a ring if you do not have a continuous R2?

Or have I (also) misunderstood?

If it's going to be a problem when it comes to testing then I'll remove the two core for two core & earth.

So back to crimping... Blue for 2.5mm and yellow for the 1.5mm earth ?

You can NOT use that old bit of 2 core. You need to replace it with proper twin and earth cable.

Anything else is just a dangerous lash up.

Why would it be dangerous ?

You're increasing the capacity of the live supply without increasing the capacity of the safety earth.

You wouldn't slap a dirty great big engine into a car without upgrading the brakes so you can still stop would you?

If it's going to be a problem when it comes to testing then I'll remove the two core for two core & earth.

Boy, are you stupid or something?

YOU MUST HAVE CONTINUOUS EARTH LINE AND NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS FOR THE RING FINAL.
That means you install the cables and leave them there, You cannot swop them for something else after testing.

Re crimping, Blue for the 2.5mm L & N, red for the 1.5mm CPC/earth.

Boy, are you stupid or something?

YOU MUST HAVE CONTINUOUS EARTH LINE AND NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS FOR THE RING FINAL.
That means you install the cables and leave them there, You cannot swop them for something else after testing.

Re crimping, Blue for the 2.5mm L & N, red for the 1.5mm CPC/earth.

I meant I'll change it now if it's going to cause a problem with testing, keep your hair on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back