House rewired, no certificates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Having a bit of a dilemna at the moment. We're selling our house (2 bed terrace) just now, or rather have sold it, subject to contract. It was rewired about 5 years ago, we haven't got certificates for it, back then I don't think I understood that we should get any. I know better now. As far as I know it was done properly, he was a qualified electrician, and it has been worked on since with no sharp intakes of breath.

Now we are completing documents for our solicitor which include questions about whether it has been rewired and to supply completion certificates etc. I told the buyers it has been rewired, as it has. Solicitor says an indemnity will suffice, but I don't want the buyers, or their mortgage company, getting worried that the place is a death trap.

So what to do? Do I get an electrical installation safety certificate and hope that will be enough to satisfy everyone? Should it? Have I got a bigger problem?

Thanks for reading.

Here's a photo of the consumer unit if it's of any use...

Attachments

• cu.jpg
    cu.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 668
Sponsored Links
I guess you have no contact details for the guy that did the rewire? He will be able to give you a certificate now, assuming he is legit.

But failing that, an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is the best you can hope for now

Sponsored Links
No, my bad, I just noticed that the first bank of MCBs are actually RCBOs !!!
I was going to say that it was unlikely to comply because of this

Ah, yeah they are. Not sure why not dual RCDs, it was explained at the time I remember that.

Actually I think they were pinched from a small consumer unit that was there already, installed not long before, to run supplies to council fitted oven and shower, which we ripped out when we moved in. We gutted the place and plumber and electrician had an empty, stripped and chased house to work on.

Are you sure it was rewired 5 years ago? If you are mistaken and it was rewired in 2004 you don't need certificates.

I think it unlikely that he is out by 6+ years when remembering how long ago he bought the property.

You really should not assume that everybody is as hard of thinking as you.

Well, we moved into the property in 2010. And I've already told the buyers it was rewired, before I discovered this issue.:confused:

I think it unlikely that he is out by 6+ years when remembering how long ago he bought the property.

You really should not assume that everybody is as hard of thinking as you.

I think he might have been trying to suggest a way out. I hope. Lol

Solicitor says an indemnity will suffice
Tell him that if the buyers want one of those utterly useless things (which your solicitor will be getting commission on selling, even though he KNOWS that they are useless to the point of it being fraud for one to be sold in these circumstances) then they are quite at liberty to buy one themselves.

Tell him that hell will freeze over before you buy one, or before you drop the price by as much as 1p.

The buyers want your house. They want it. Exploit that.

I think he might have been trying to suggest a way out. I hope. Lol
Ah.

It did not occur to me that he was suggesting you turn your house sale into a fraudulent transaction. I thought he was just stupid, not criminal.

To be honest I'm less worried about the buyers, more so their mortgage lender throwing a hissy fit.

I agree indemnity policy is pointless, but it's £16, if they must.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back