house survey - leaking chimney and incomplete fire wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a home buyers survey done on a 1900's terrace prop and it highlights I quote....

"The property has two chimney stacks which are built in brick masonry.
The stacks are shared with a neighbour.
These stacks appear in fair structural order with no obvious defects. However, the
rear stack is leaking and repairs are needed"

I'm assuming this relates to the chimney letting in water (not fumes) as the issue was mentioned again later in the report in conjunction with dampness.

Can anyone give some general advice regarding what sort of potential probems I have here bearing in mind it was a homebuyers report and that the surveyor would not have been able to see the chimney close up (how could he tell it was leaking???!!)

I am unsure whether its nitpicking or a significant issue needing repair with scaffolding etc

Also

The report highlights an incomplete firewall in the loft (the house is a 1900 terrace ) Would this need to be finished for insurance purposes?

any pointers appreciated

:)

Sponsored Links
He will have stuck his head in the loft and seen the damp from the chimney also the incomplete fire wall, insurance/mortgage lenders will insist it is built up, the chimney should not require scaffolding it may be missing some flashing.

Your chimney stack may need repointing, or the cement flaunching on the top (that holds the pots on) may be crumbling; there's also a chance that any lead flashings need to be made good, likewise any cement fillets.
The surveyor probably saw water marks from within the loft.
I personally would like to see a complete and sealed firewall from your property to the next.
John :)

thanks for replies. Any idea of ball park cost for the chimney if it needs re pointing ie worst case scenario.? Just had another look at the photo and it has 6 to 8 chimney pots sitting on a brickwork base about four feet high(at deepest point) that stradles the ridge. Its going to be expensive isnt it?!

Sponsored Links
If a chimney stack is "leaking" then that means it is leaking flue gas.

If there are water leaks around a chimney, then the roof is leaking

Find out what the surveyor is on about. If he means a roof leak, then he is an idiot. Another nonsense comment is " ... and repairs are needed". What repairs? Where?

It could be anything, at any cost.

For the fire wall, now that the surveyor has pointed it out, you are obligated to tell the insurers, and that in turn would normally mean that you may have to get a fire-break constructed. Or else just get the work done

further into the report, he said this about the chimney which leads me to think he means wet...

(my interpretation of chimney leak would be fumes as well! )

"Damp was also found inside caused by inadequate / leaking window sill to middle
bedroom, leaking flashing to porch roof, leaking chimney and some
repairs/upgrading will be necessary."

I'm ok about the firewall but a bit nervous about the chimney :)

will speak with the surveyor tomorrow..

need to get someone up there to take a look really...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back