Housebuilder Wants to add plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in a new build for 18 months now. Yesterday, I received a call saying there had been some sort of mess up and they need to come in, add another plaster board to a wall and then plaster over. The wall in question is in the main bedroom. It is going to take them 4 days to complete so we can't sleep in there.

It sounds like the wrong thickness plasterboard was fitted at the outset & somehow it was missed by the housebuilders inspectors but also the third party inspector. Not sure how they came to realise they messed up, but obviously there is massive inconvenience involved and it may mean we have lived in a house for 18 months that potentially doesn’t meet regulations. It could even be that they haven’t used fire rated plasterboard which is thicker than the normal.

The housebuilder has said they wont be offering any kind of compensation, is this fair?

Sponsored Links
The housebuilder has said they wont be offering any kind of compensation,

Then you won't be offering them access.

Compensation for inconvenience, for your carpet and decorations and general inconvenience and worry is in order.

Find out exactly the reason for additional plasterboard (from the inspector or the NHBC, not the builder) as this may well influence the amount of anxiety you feel, which will in turn influence how much compo will relieve the anxiety.

This could be a lot more than it seems

- door linings may need replacing, then redecorating
- new skirting boards, and redecorating
- carpet cutting back
- fitted furniture may no longer fit

What is on the other side of the wall they propose to add a layer of plasterboard to?

Sponsored Links
To be honest fair is entirely subjective. I'd just be glad they're being responsible and coming back to do it for free.
Yes it's inconvenient so you could ask them to supply movers to clear the room, and get a free redecoration or whatever out of it, but personally I wouldn't ask for compensation.
You could even ask them to wait until you're on holiday. But personally I'd want to stick around.

John, they’re not ‘being responsible’. They wouldn’t be doing it if they didn’t have to.

That depends how cynical you are. Either way I wouldn't fancy feeling hard done by or being difficult. But that's just me.

If thats the worst snagging issue youve encountered with new build, you should think yourself lucky!

I personally wouldnt be thinking about compensation, just make sure they are clear what they will be doing and how they will rectify any decorating.

Its quite awkward to do, having to skim up to finished walls and ceiling, probably with electrics to alter etc

Take photos before they start especially of where the wall in question abuts to other walls, ceiling floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back