Houses With Multiple Occupancy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the regulations are affecting electrical installations in an HMO and when it all comes into force? There seems to be a great deal of confusion in the LBAs.

Sponsored Links
The regulations are the same for Multiple Occupancy houses as they are for normal Domestic. Part P applies to electrical work undertaken in the premises if the work falls within the remit of the section of Part P, and if it willimpact the supply to the building, then there are other acts which cover this.

There should be a mains operated or at least, interlinked, fire alarm in the building, emergency lighting should exist in communal areas if the house is split into flats or bedsits. If it is a single building with the rooms simply rented out, like a large family home if you will, then there is no requirement for emergency lighting, however the fire-alarm is a legal requirement as far as I am aware regardless.

As far as any electrical work or even plumbing work is concerned, the requirments of the owners/landlords insurers should be accounted for as they will likely require Contractors to be members of the NICEIC/ECA or CORGI respectively.

DD

If it is a single building with the rooms simply rented out, like a large family home if you will, then there is no requirement for emergency lighting,

Are you absolutely sure of this. I have been told by a landlord that the LBA have told him that a shared house has to have emergency exits.

I can't find any evidence of this.

Does anyone know of a particular government web site that clarifies it?[/quote]

It could be the case if the Landlord doesn't actually live on the premises and the LBA have introduced their own stricter standards.

Sponsored Links
Nijinski001 said:
Does anyone know what the regulations are affecting electrical installations in an HMO

When you say electrical installation nijinsky what are you specifically asking about, i.e the domestic circuits, fire precautons, etc.

I maybe able to assist with your answer as I deal specifically with HMO properties that dont meet the requirements of the building regulations 1991 and therefore would fall under my remit under the Housing Act 1985 as amended.

Cheers

Red

red40 said:
I maybe able to assist with your answer as I deal specifically with HMO properties that dont meet the requirements of the building regulations 1991
What do you mean by "deal with"?

and therefore would fall under my remit under the Housing Act 1985 as amended.
What remit is that?

Also, I'm curious.

You joined on Sept 7th 2004, made 2 posts in one topic in the Plumbing and Central Heating forum on 07/09/04 and 10/09/04 to do with gas hobs, and since then nothing.

Now after over 20 months of inactivity you spring back into life on the very day that someone posts a question about a subject with which you are intimately involved - strange coincidence...

BAS you're such a cynic........... :)
Where do you get the time to.......

What I mean Red is I'm an electrician and have been asked to fit smoke detectors and emergency lighting. Now I can rip my customer off or I an fit what HMO says is necessary...........

Are you in the LB depts?
Are you an Agent?
Tell us how close you are?

You would fit the hard wired alarm/emergency lighting systems to the current British Standards in accordance with Part P. The regulations affecting exisiting properties that have been converted into HMO's prior to June 1991 would fall within the Housing Act 1985 as amended, pursuant to section 352 (d) (e) regarding fire precautions and means of escape and from the explanatroy notes will guide you to the DoE Circular 12/92 which gives guidance in conjuction with the British Standard to what system is to be installed in a specific Hmo property.

Have carried out repairs in a HMO as a result of inspection by another electrical contractor

He has suggested that a hard wired, type L1, system complete with control panel and correctly wire detector and sounder circuits be removed and mains powered interconnected smoke detectors be fitted.

I would assume the HMO requirements can accept a more superior system than mains operated detectors?

Ban all sheds, I find it a little disturbing that you seem to "investigate" members who post here, I wonder if you work for a living or just search this BB for posts and members etc?

Now I am beginnning to understand why so many people here find you hard to take.

I just happened to notice the combination of a long-ago joining date and hardly any posts. (2 at the time).

I was curious, that's all, and with only 2 posts, it wasn't a Herculean task to look at them.

Sorry if curiosity offends you.

red40 said:
You would fit the hard wired alarm/emergency lighting systems to the current British Standards in accordance with Part P. The regulations affecting exisiting properties that have been converted into HMO's prior to June 1991 would fall within the Housing Act 1985 as amended, pursuant to section 352 (d) (e) regarding fire precautions and means of escape and from the explanatroy notes will guide you to the DoE Circular 12/92 which gives guidance in conjuction with the British Standard to what system is to be installed in a specific Hmo property.
I see that your proximity to the Housing Act has not put you within reach of a guide to punctuation, spelling and grammar ;)

BTW, why did you post your answer the same day that this topic was created, after 20 months of inactivity? It's the most odd thing, and one doesn't have to be cynical to think so.

DDoyle said:
Ban all sheds, I find it a little disturbing that you seem to "investigate" members who post here...
As disturbing as you noticing his curiosity, taking time to comment on it, and not having any yourself? I think not.

DDoyle said:
Now I am beginnning to understand why so many people here find you hard to take.
The only people who find b-a-s "hard to take" are racist, or persistently stupid, or liars, or bigoted, or those who brazenly breach the Building Regulations, or who are in favour of the re-introduction of the death penalty. Or any permutation of the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back