Occupancy sensors for lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recessed 360 Degree PIR Ceiling Occupancy Motion Sensor Detector Light Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BEWGO7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZjMzxbZSSA09Y

How common are all these type of occupancy sensors these days when used to switch on lighting in rooms or small cupboard areas?

How would this be installed as part of the new house wiring? Would it replace the light switch completely or can you still have a light switch to override it?

Sponsored Links
In houses, Used quite a lot these days for cupboard areas, I have a couple myself for this purpose, but not that type.

In rooms, it depends on your view.

Personally I wouldnt have them anywhere in rooms of my house. They have a time out period (ie the time the light will switch on for.)

Imagine, you have a PIR in your living room controlling the light. The light comes on, you sit down to read the paper, 5 minutes later the light goes out. You jump up so the light goes on again, 5 minutes later the light goes out.... repeat until you realise what a stupid decision you have made.\

IF you decide to ignore this and fit them anyway (why not have a wart in the mioddle of your nice new ceiling) then you must, must have an over-ride switch so you can select the light to be on, off or controlled by the PIR.

Not common at all for the reasons already given.

For cupboards and similar it's far better to have a switch operated by opening the door, so with the door open the light is on, closing the door turns the light off.

How common are all these type of occupancy sensors these days when used to switch on lighting in rooms or small cupboard areas?
About as common as the incidence of people either unable, or too stupid to be willing, to use a switch.

Sponsored Links
Most commercial offices now have these things installed as part of some Lutron or occupancy Sensor system. It can be quite irritating after 7 PM when you goes into energy saving mode and you still in the office working.

I had one in my kitchen - temporarily, as a PIR bulkhead was the only light in there when the ceiling was being replastered. Actually increadibly useful when walking in/out of the kitchen carrying trays and not having to find a hand free to operate a switch. I am seriously considering a way of putting something similar in permanently, perhaps just operating some LED plinth lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back