how bad an install can u get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry lads but no pictures

Went to do a test on a property that builders had completed recently, 3 storey house all refurbed.
Went straight to the cu
No rcd
3 or 4 cables in each lighting breaker
tugged on a 10mm earth cable which wasnt clipped came out of the ceiling didnt go anywhere both ends in my hands
took another look and no main earth installed from cu to head
no supplementary bonding
about to walk out when curiosity got the better and thought id do a couple of dead tests
downstairs lighting in ring, no r1+r2, pendents used but only feed cable in there jbs in ceiling inaccesable
Checked couple of sockets with martindale wired incorrectly, no earth tags.
Quite possibly the worst new install ive ever seen, we condemned the lot and the korean builder begged us for certs and even offered prostitutes as an extra incentive.
Scary thing is i saw him 2 weeks later and he said another electrician came in and signed it all off.!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
sounds like a dodgy agency sending sub-ordinates from the continent along ,masquerading as sparks.probably long gone now...

Did a PIR 2 weeks ago for an estate agent and got no continuity on the kitchen ring cpc. Was told it was all behind a wall unit which I took down. There were 2 cables emerging from the wall into 2 of 2 way chock blocks for the 4 live conductors, the earths were just twisted together, one of which had come adrift completely. There was only 1 socket on the ring. The cable had been intercepted and a JB that looked like a box of escaping snakes inserted. The other 5 double sockets ran off this JB, as did the under worktop lights - direct to the lights. At least a 16A MCB had been fitted to the circuit. I couldn't decide whether the kitchen fitter had intended a star radial configuration or b****ed up a ring configuration. He'd obviously run out of earth sleeving a long time ago too. A certain large kitchen company may have questions to answer, though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back